Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What will distilled water do to my axolotls

iplaythebassoon

Reaction score
I am away from home and have asked my mother to house sit my animals while I am away. She put distilled water in my aquarium even though I asked her to add spring water. She put two gallons into a 20 gallon tank. So only 10% is distilled. Am I going to arrive home to two dead axies? A crashed aquarium? Freaking out right now.

millerj76

Reaction score
Some people use distilled water for household aquariums because it lacks the chemicals found in tap water supplies. It is important to supplement distilled water when using it for fishkeeping; it is too pure to sustain proper chemistry to support an aquarium ecosystem.[5 Hi just found this little snipet on wikipedia, i imagine you might be ok if it is only 10 percent, is the tank filtered, if so i would imagine that the filter will still have lots of benificial bacteria to handle the 10 percent. the article above says to supplement the distilled water , i think this would be the case if you were using it regularly, but maybe if its just the once then hopefully you will be ok

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It will be fine, no worries. Were those 2 gallons a water change (i.e., she removed 2 gallons) or was this replacement for water evaporated? Distilled water is recommended for replacing evaporated water, since evaporation leaves all the minerals behind. A partial change with distilled water will probably not reduce the mineral content to any significant degree.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!