Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help please

mercii

Reaction score
hi sorry im not really used to this can someone please help me my sister reasently moved into a new house were the last tenents left there axolotls behind there had been eating eachother i offered to take them they have no gills left and no limbs i went out and brought all the food the need that was recomended and they wont eat also one has a red mark or a bloch on its tail and flots please help i dont want them to die:mad:

Urmat

Reaction score
You might want to seperate them for the time being, if possible. What are their water conditions like and what are you trying to feed them? You could try putting the one that is floating in the fridge, this slows down their metabolism so dont be suprised if it doesnt eat much or stops eating all together. If you arent sure on how to do this there are lots of threads on this forum about it. Hopefully someone with a little more experience sees this and can give you more advice.

mercii

Reaction score
hi i got a water test kit and i says there water is okay and i went to my local pet shop they gave me axolotl pelts some frozen bug mix stuff for axolotls and some dil some thing shrimp sorry i forget the name

Urmat

Reaction score
Have you tried hand feeding them? I hope they recover :[

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
Some small mouth size garden worms would be the best food for them and is better than that insect mix. Unless they are still under 2 inches. Then stay with the insect mix. Their arms will grow back and their gills can grow back too. Try hand feeding the ones that float. Sometimes a full stomach will help weigh them dowm some and push out any gas. Keep the water as cool as you can and keep as clean as you can and they can recover nicely with some TLC. Like Urmat suggested fridging for a week can give them time to rest and unstress some. This will help them recover

nwmnnaturalist

Reaction score
If you feel the Axolotls are too much for you to handle, you can always ask if any schools around would like to have them as their classroom pets. They can offer the care they need. Otherwise, putting them in torpor and separating them (as already suggested) will be the best for them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!