Illness/Sickness: New FBN has no toe and white/cotton patches

experience99

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone.
My fiance and me recently got into the newt world and we purchased three from our local pet store two days ago. They are fire bellied newts and looked super healthy when we bought them. We keep them in a 55 gal tank with plants and the water temp is at 69. We checked all of our water and made sure the nitrite/nitrates weren't too high and same with the Ph levels. We lost one yesterday morning and now we have two left. But now one of the healthier ones that moves all the time seems like he lost a toe and now has a cotton-like white tuft around that toe.

Is this a fungus or is this a sore? What do I do:confused:? If anyone has any advice that'd be greatly appreciated. I read one article about sores and going to the vet but there aren't many "exotic" vets around my area and when there is they didn't know what they were talking about, plus my 6 1/2 month old doesn't do well in car trips. Is there anything I can get at the pet store to help? Does the fridge thing work or neosporin?

THANKS!
Amber

The white cotton is fungus. Chances are it's secondary to septicemia, which is probably what killed the other one.

You can treat the fungus, but don't be surprised if they don't pull through. Unfortunately, this is extremely common in this species, as they're mass-imported in terrible conditions, and the pet shop gives no care tips to poor unsuspecting folks.

How do I treat the fungus? Just with fish fungus stuff and let them soak?

Have you read through all the illness articles? FBN can be treated with salt baths or a terrestrial setup. Don't use fish medication on amphibians.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back