How cold is too cold?

obicat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How cold is to cold with regards to eggs? Mine are developing but not hatching and I know others out of the same batch have hatched. Is it because the water is to cold?

Re: How cold is to cold?

If they're developing, they're not too cold. They'll hatch when they're ready.

Hi obi.

I have nine hatched from those that were taken out but I have about ten to fifteen more still waiting, I have noticed the the egg seems to get really small just before they come out :shocked:

I have had one die as its head was stuck in the eggs when the body was out. :(
They will get there :happy:

How cold is to cold with regards to eggs? Mine are developing but not hatching and I know others out of the same batch have hatched. Is it because the water is to cold?
From reading many posts on here, the colder they are will slow down the process of hatching, and the warmer they are will speed the process up. Its very frustrating watching and waiting, i have also read about eggs hatching and others from the same batch hatching upto a week later. Good luck

They are developing, they keep looking at me! :D Probably wondering who the crazy person is who keeps peering in at them every 30 seconds. I'm normally a patient person, but this is driving me mad! :eek:

They are developing, they keep looking at me! :D Probably wondering who the crazy person is who keeps peering in at them every 30 seconds. I'm normally a patient person, but this is driving me mad! :eek:
I'm sure my dog thought i was mental, i had my eggs on a side in the same room the dogs beds in, i would go in the room, the dog would rouse herself expecting to be stroked, and i would walk over to the side and just stare at the eggs for 15 20 minutes, she had no idea. I was also worried i would miss the first ones hatching, (i did miss it), but i did watch most hatch. How many are you hatching?

Just 12, and still they havent hatched! My 7yr old niece is staying over tonight and we have taken turns egg watching. There was a false alarm earlier on when she shouted "theres one swimming!!" Me and the puppy legged it the full length of the house only for her to say, "oh hang on, no there isnt" :mad: :rofl:

Still none hatched! :( They are still growing, and the splodgy ones are getting darker. Twice day I have caught one of them doing violent 'twitches'. They must be almost ready now surely!? C'mon little axies, hatch!

Finally!!!! One has hatched! Its an albino/white one. Its belly is a darker white, does that mean its eaten, or is that normal?

Seems to be normal (I think) if you look real close you can see it all the way down there insides till it comes to the exit point ;)

They get really red little bellies when they have eaten. Some of mine ate the day they were hatched. And some didn't for a couple of days. :D:D

So glad they finally hatching for you.

The belly is the yolk sac. You should see it for a day or two until they start eating their food.

I told you they'd hatch when they're ready.

Hatchlings now, congratulations, they will all be out before you know it, hopefully.

9 hatched now, 3 left to go. Only 1 fatality, I think it got stuck coming out of the egg :( The others look good and are growing like weeds :D Of the 3 left, 1 is definitely viable as its watching me :cool: the other 2 I'm not so sure about. 1 is 1 of twins and its sibling hatched a couple of days ago, so I'm a bit :confused:

Fingers crossed they stay healthy and keep growing the way they have been :D

I'm so glad there hatching.:D
I had a set of twins one died in egg and one survived,

:D:D

All out now apart from the remaining twin. I'm a bit dubious about this one. The egg is shrinking, just like the others did before hatching, but I keep thinking it looks cloudy :confused: I'm going to separate it I think, just in case.

They seem to be growing at different rates. The darker ones are bigger and faster, the pale ones are smaller and seem more sluggish. The tank is teeming with tiny daphnia and they all appear to be eating well, despite it only being 10 degree in there.

Most of my darker ones are bigger than the albinos, I have also seen they seem to be slightly more aggressive for want of a better word so all of mine are now in individual containers. The largest were chomping away on bloodworm last night, I didn't cut them, they just stalked them a bit then nom, bye bye worm (just like there dad)

Haven't even tried them on the little ones, think there still well to little.

the last egg hatched this evening. Thats all of them out now :D They seem to be growing well, although no idea how much faster it would have been had they been warmer. Now to see if I can get them to the juvenile stage!

hey obi,
just wondering how you got your tank all the way down to 10 degrees? i have tried to get the tank cold and i am lucky to get it to 16 degrees. how'd you do it???????

Phippsy, it's winter in the UK. I imagine the ambient temperature has quite a bit to do with the tank temperature.

Thats right, outside temps are anywhere from -1 to 10 degrees at the minute. I dont put my central heating on and all my tanks sit around 7 to 10 degrees. I have mudskippers as well and its a constant fight to get their tanks ambient temp above 18 degrees!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back