Lotyl not eating still

Boo Penguin

Reaction score
Country
Australia
My axi has been acting weird for a little while now and about 10 days ago she just stopped eating. She's always had a healthy appetite so this is really weird. I've checked her tank and all parameters are fine, I'm also running a chiller for her so she's at a good temp.

Lately though she's been acting a little snobby and is not literally turning her head away when I try to feed her. Any advice on how to get her to eat?

Also I just noticed her cloaca seems a little swollen.

Last edited:
What do you feed her? What substrate do you have?

That's funny, cuz mine just did the same thing after I moved them from a 20 to 29 gallon. He would turn away from any food I tried offering him. So I tried cutting earth worms in half and now he takes them right away, idk what his deal was. Maybe it's cuz after I cut the worms they didn't squirm so much

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=44.926765,-93.081097

What do you feed her? What substrate do you have?
Earthworms or beef strips, she likes both equally though the beef is only as a treat every now and then. She's never not eaten before.

Oh I also have her one a fine sand substrate, no rocks or big objects that she could have swallowed

I wonder if you have read any of my posts and replies.... Kaysie (US) answered me that axies can go a couple of weeks of more, not eating!! If you read her post at the top of this forum, on salt bathing, and scroll down to #16 (or 17), she has written they can go without food for months!!?? :eek: I hope she is RIGHT, as my "Lottie" has not eaten now since 14th Dec !
She has been fridged for 2 days, and no poop or stones have been passed, so I have slowly bought the container she is in, up a bit in temp, and given her a salt bath for 8 mins. I will give her another bath tomorrow, (maybe her white blotches are a worry to her ) :confused: then put her back in her tank. Don't know what else to do....

It's a hard one :/

As its been said, axolotls can go without food for a while, although generally they shouldn't have massive changes in dietary behaviour for no reason.

My axolotl won't eat during the day, only in the late evening and at night. Have you tried feeding at different times of day?

Mine also generally isn't interested in anything dead. Are you feeding the earthworms live?

Someone with more knowledge may need to answer this. I'm only going on my own personal experiences.

Mine used to eat whole live earthworms and then all a sudden he didn't want them, but as soon as I cut them in half he started taking them. His appetite isn't fully back yet, but he's getting there...

Hey there Boo Penguin... interested to know if your axie is eating yet? Is she on her own? :uhoh::happy:

as soon as I cut them in half he started taking them.

They are predators, after all. Sometimes a little blood is all it takes to get the Tunnel of Doom to open up.

Ok my baby girl still isn't eating, and now she's really sick. She's all bloated with a very swollen cloaca and fungus on her gill.

She's always been so healthy, and now my parents are looking after her because I'm away for an exchange. I'm so scared that she's going to die.

Please help

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back