Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hi! fairly new to the axolotl world!

paig1670

Reaction score
Hey everyone!
so i'v gotten my first two albino axolotl's last year and i absolutely love them to pieces! best bests i have every had! but i do have some concerns and was hoping someone could help me out!

so i dont exactly know the sex of both my axolotl's yet. one of them is huge! and i defiantly know he's a male but the other ones quite small and i have yet to figure out!

what im concerned with is that the smaller one wasnt eating as much as the bigger one and so i chose to hand feed the skinny one to get some food into him but he still is super skinny!

i think the bigger ones not allowing the smaller one to eat!

anyone have any suggestions?

thanks!

sheena22

Reaction score
They should be around the same size if they are in the same tank as there is a risk of them both going for the food and ones head getting swallowed or hurt meaning it annoying and hurting the skinnier axy, maybe try another tank or a divider,

And what are you feeding them Earthworms are the best, bloodworms are more of a snack as are other foods, sometimes a small slither of liver can help fatten them up and is tasty too :wacko:

paig1670

Reaction score
Okay! thanks!
and they are the same size, just ones super skinny than the other!
i will try to get some liver for the skinny one!

XDragonGrlX

Reaction score
Hello and Welcome! I am very new as well. I dont have anything but Betta fish as of yet but I am planning on getting either some Axolotl's or Fire belly newts haha. Hope you can get the skinny one fattened up!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!