Last legs??

mogs9999

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
mogs9999
My Axolotl Ollie has been ill for a while now

at the start of December he had fungus on his gills so we tried fridging and salt baths for about 3 weeks with no change in his condition and he didn't eat the entire time

we gave Pimafix a go , which is a natural chemical used on fish to treat infections, from advice i had gathered on here i only used a small amount of it as lots could damage his gills

this worked a treat , so i put him back in his tank just before the new year and he started eating again for a couple of days, but now he doesnt want any food again, he looks skinny as anything, having only eaten half a worm in over a month, all his water readings and water temp are fine but he has stopped eating since new years day, and im really not sure why,

What is the rest of the tank like? Filters? Hides? Tank mates? Temperature?

temp varies between 14c-20c but we try and keep it as cold as we can we have an underwater filter, and he has 3 plant pot hides and some big rocks to hide behind, and a thin layer of sand on the bottom of the tank

Thought I might ad that when I had a submersible filter it heated my water up a little.

it probably does create some heat, but it evens out as i add ice bottles and leave the window open near his tank

Temp sounds fine, although big fluctuations could possibly be stressful...

Does your submersible filter have a strong current? Is it possible his stress could be from water flow?
Just thought I'd ask.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back