Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Long time off the forum - need advice

cat_lady

Reaction score
Some of you may or may not remember I have a mandarin salamander called Abe.

Abe has been with me since 2006 and had been in two homes within the space of a month before. I have no idea if they were her only homes or not.

She came to me after someone lost interest and it became apparent she was a bit of a stubborn feeder. Took a while, but she got so much better she would literally take food from your fingers.

Up until recently. She has only eaten one waxworm in a little over three weeks. I've tried offering earthworms, slugs, wood lice, waxies....she's just not interested.

I don't know if it's age related or not, but wanted to ask for ideas on here. I don't think she's suffering, but am a little worried she might be if left.

I've tried moving her home to a colder room (the outhouse) and have even tried putting her in the fridge (under advice from someone who knows more about sals than me.) - but nothing seems to really help. Any suggestions?

cat_lady

Reaction score
Noone? This is fairly urgent considering the length of time she hasn't eaten. ANY advice is appreciated.

evut

Reaction score
Have there been any other changes - in her environment, behaviour, body shape? Does she move about normally? Does she look skinny?
It would be good if you could post some photos of the animal and it's enclosure.

cat_lady

Reaction score
Eva, the only change she's had is I put sphagnum moss in her tank. When she started acting differently I called a friend who works relocating newts and sals and asked her opinion. I was advised to take the moss out due to high acidity levels so I did.

It hadn't been in that long, maybe just under a week.

Her enclosure remained the same until I noticed her lack of eating and that she'd developed a weepy area on her skin. (Which I now assume was related to her short exposure to the moss.) Under advice I've tried removing most of the things in it but covering her home so it's easier to check she's eating the food put in. But she has a big bowl of water to sit in, a hide, a plant pot and a plant in there. I also put the soil back in, because if she is going to go I don't want her to be in a sterile environment she's not used to - it wasn't making a difference anyway.

She's definitely underweight and a friend thinks she may have a calcium issue because her back legs are a bit odd from time to time.

Have I missed anything?

cat_lady

Reaction score
I did - no, she isn't moving about normally any more.

As I said, the tricky part is knowing whether this is Abe letting go purely because it's her time or there's a more sinister issue.

evut

Reaction score
I am not very experienced so I hope someone else will offer advice.
Has the sore healed well?

The mention of problems with hind legs makes me wonder if it could be intestinal impaction. One of my salamanders got impacted with wax worms. The hind legs can be "limp" if this is the case. I put my salamander in the fridge for couple of days - then she pooped and was ok. I posted this thread about it.

cat_lady

Reaction score
I did put her in the fridge, but only for a few hours. It didn't seem to make any difference, but maybe she wasn't in there long enough.

Thanks for trying to help, I do appreciate it.

evut

Reaction score
I think refrigeration might be good idea even if it's not impaction. It will need to be for longer, though.

evut

Reaction score
My salamander was in the fridge for 4 days. I kept her on moist paper towel which was changed daily. In that time she pooped twice - 2 undigested wax worms.

It is difficult to guess what's wrong with your salamander. I hope someone else can shed some light. In the meantime, it would be good if you could provide some photos.

cat_lady

Reaction score
I'll try. I'm worried you'll all think I'm mistreating her, she looks terrible bless her.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The decreased appetite may be partly due to the time of year. If your house is cool, I would keep her in a cool place but not the fridge.

Since you've had the animal for 5+ years, I don't think anyone will accuse you of poor care;) In what way does she look terrible? Just the poor ability to walk, or other visible problems?

cat_lady

Reaction score
Hoping this works....

Attachments

• Abe for Caudata.jpg
    Abe for Caudata.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 183
  • Abes set up for Caudata.jpg
    Abes set up for Caudata.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 171

cat_lady

Reaction score
She looks ill. It's painful to see and I actually cried a little earlier out of frustration at not being able to really help her.

I love all my animals - they're a part of my family. And Abe is an awesome little critter.

Someone mentioned something called Oxbox carnivore care....if I could get some into her would that help?

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, I don't have much good advice. She does look really bad. When the skin gets like that, it's a bad sign. Force feeding is certainly an option, but I've never managed to save an animal by doing it.

cat_lady

Reaction score
Force feeding seems a horrible option to me, anyway. I'm not sure I'd appreciate someone forcing me to live if I felt it was time. That's what I mean, she could be anywhere between 6 and 10, I have no way of knowing. And if it's the older end of the scale and it's "time" I'm being cruel by making her do anything other than what she seemingly wants to.

Was hoping for a bit of inspiration on how to deal with the situation. I'm not great when my animals get ill because I panic a little too much.

Thanks though.

cat_lady

Reaction score
She passed on Friday 13th January 2012. :( I managed to get her to eat a small amount of Carnivore Care, but I think it was maybe just her time. She perked up briefly and had a tiny walk on me after taking in the CC but I found her passed on the next day.

A friend of mine who works relocating indigenous breeds of newts and salamanders said she thought it was likely Abe was around 8/9 years old. She also reassured me I'd tried everything I could and that Abe had a good life.

I miss Abes permanently smiley face. :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!