Question: What Gender?

Shanno93

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Okay, I've had Fonzie for about two months now, and I think I've already posted asking this question. Some people said they thought he was (in fact) a he, and some weren't sure. I've got clearer photos now, and when I look at them, I'm petrified that Fonzie's actually a girl! :sad:

I just acquired a new female, Xena, and I was hoping they'll breed. What are the ideal months for breeding (if any)?

Attachments

• IMG_0957.jpg
    IMG_0957.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_0958.jpg
    IMG_0958.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 249
June, July. August are the usual breeding months at least here in the southern hemisphere. Hard to tell what sex your axie is at the moment but when the temp starting cooling off in autumn it should be very appearent if you axie is a boy. A large plump stomach would indicate a female full off eggs.

Regards Neil

Do they always breed? Like, if you have a girl and a boy in a tank, is it 100% that they will breed?

And does it help with sexing that Fonzie's about 20cm long?

Male, and it looks a little thin.

No, keeping a male and a female in a tank together will not guarantee breeding. I had one female in with 4 males for years and nothing ever happened. I sold 3 of the males, and bam! Eggs.

Male?

Yeah, and the sad thing is he's a lot fatter now than when I got him :/ I'm feeding him a lot, hoping to fatten him up :p

That's interesting. I'll just wait till breeding season and see what happens ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back