Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

GFP pair laid eggs.....will the gene be passed?

2CLD1BC

Reaction score
Hello! My pair of GFP axies laid eggs on friday! It was very exciting because I was under the impression I had two females! But a couple of weeks ago I did notice once was starting to look more "male".

I am wondering if the GFP gene will be passed to offspring? Or does it need to be engineered in a lab? Both parents are leucistic GFP.

I saved as many eggs as I could (most tangled in java moss). Is there a place where I can offer the eggs for sale? And any babies that are raised? I've never raised axies before but I have raised African Clawed Frogs quite a few times. So I am assuming they are similar.

I moved all eggs to a 10 gallon with some rooted pothos vines. Can I add a filter? Or just an air stone?

Thank you!

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
GFP is genetically heritable. If both your adults are GFP, all of your larvae will be too.

Babies can be offered here, as long as you follow all the rules for posting.

sheena22

Reaction score
Kaysie, you seem to know like everything about everything:D Can i have a gfp in england im not sure i want one to be honest but want to know if i could as i like to prepare months and months before i get anything to make sure it will definitely get the realistic care it deserves x

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
That's my job.

I don't think GFP axolotls are allowed in England, as they are genetically modified.

Loobylou

Reaction score
The law seems a little hazy. It appears that you can own genetically modified animals, but you are not allowed to genetically modify animals anywhere in the EU. Theoretically you could import some from America, but whether they would get through customs or not is another matter!

sheena22

Reaction score
Green flourescent protein glow under special lighting. And thanks kaysie probs wont get ine then x

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1