Illness/Sickness: HELP floating tail up

RogueAngel

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Donna
Hi everyone I hope someone can help as im still new to axies I have 3 but one of them is floating tail up shes about 6" long ive had her for almost 2 months now and this is the first problem ive had so far shes eating normally and kept on sand so no gravel to worry about I saw her do a massive poo yesterday it shot out like a volcano lol but shes still floating and hides most of the time trying to keep herself down shes been like it for a couple of day now and im starting to worry as I dont no what to do please help :( I have photos but dont no how to get them on on my phone

In your album, it appears your plant is also floating.

Do you have a filter, and if so does it generate a strong current?
Have you checked water parameters?

It could just be gass. It's a good sign that it has pooped.

Last edited:
Thank you for your help the plant is stuck to the side of the tank lol I put her in a tub this morning and she had a poo and seamed fine so this afternoon I placed her baxk in her tank to see how she did and so far she seams fine a lot better so fingers crossed :rolleyes:

I had the same problem with mine recently. A trip to the vet and a course of axie friendly antibiotics did the trick. I also had an airstone in his tank which he used to "munch" on the bubbles from time to time, I've since turned it off. I'm not sure if it was the antibiotics ( the vet seemed to think he may have picked up a tummy infection) or gas from the bubbles that caused it.

This is strange one min shes floating tail up then shes ok then up again not sure why ive had her in a tub twice she poos then seams ok again for a while shes now in the tub for the third time I wounder if shes gulping the water near her filter I just dont no :(

I've since turned the bubbles back on in Abraham's tank will no ill effects I notice he still munches at the bubbles gets a belly full of air then burps it out.. but gets a bit light in the tail end if he doesn't... hmmmm They have such personalities I'm begining to wonder if he does it for fun and just didn't know when to stop before..lol

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back