Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

HELP! Salt bath for fungus in juvenile (4th long)

ember20

Reaction score
Hi guys,
In need of urgent he'll with yet another fungal infection. Already lost one if my adults 3 months ago, saved another with salt baths and thought everything had settled down.
Just today noticed the beginnings of another fungal infection ( at least I think it is, it's very similar to what happened before), on a young axolotl intended to replace the one i lost. He has some cloudy coloured fungal hyphae on his back/dorsal fin and he's at the surface looking pretty miserable and flushed. My question is, is he too young to salt bath?
He's currently 4cm long, I can't recall his exact age he must be around 4months from when he was layed, but his front legs are fully formed and his back legs are showing the main joint and rudimentary toes.
Has anyone got any suggestions as to why I'm havin these problems all of a sudden. He has not been in contact with any of the old tank (since I have assumed there must be some fungal spores in there still) his water is always fresh and the other adult (separate tank, same-ish water) is fine. Only thing hat has changed around this Problem starting before xmas was moving to the city and having to rely on dechlorinators as supposed to the fresh spring water I was using previously :/
Please any suggestions, I'd hate to lose the little guy he's intended as a tankmate for the other axie.
Thanks all. Ember

lollypop

Reaction score
Hi
I don't really know the answer to how old? And hopefully someone will be able to tell you,

As for the reason behind it, not sure but do you test your water, do you use a filter, I'm wondering if you could have a crashed cycle? It might be a long shot but worth considering.

Sorry it's not much help, but maybe someone will notice your post and give some better clues and answers.

sheena22

Reaction score
The only reason my axolotl s got fungus wasfrom bloodworms. So thats an idea, and heat is a cause.id salt bath him in a weaker solution and keep himcool

ember20

Reaction score
Hi guys thank you for your replies,
I took the plunge and gave him a weak salt bath yesterday. If you thought transferring an adult axie was difficult this tiny little guy was a nightmare!
He's had 3 baths so far and a lot of the hyphae seem to shed off overnight so I'm very pleased with him :)
When you say bloodworms gave your axis fungus, do you mean through lack of dietary requirements or the actual bloodworms being contaminated? Cus this little guy only just started eating bloodworms now that he's getting too big for daphnia...I winder if that could be the problem...
Ember20

sheena22

Reaction score
Not dietary it was the bloodworms itself and can come from any live food, but doesnt usually and lots of dead food seems to make fungus so clean cool salt and on the way to a healthy axi again :) x

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1