Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hey whats up from Miami , FL

BIGBODYBEAR

Reaction score
I am new to the world of salamanders & i bought a tiger salamander larvae about 5 months ago , i got it at 5 inches ,it is at 7 now , it is well fed , has a lot of hiding spots in its tank , also i know its bad to put gravel as a substrate but i pretty much hand feed it always & its food never touches the gravel so it doesnt suck it up not really agressive at all, when i walk in the room it sometimes follows me in its tank lol , pretty cute critter but now the problem is that i keep referring to it as an "it" because im not sure whether its a male or female , it has a small little hump under behind the back legs but not a big one like ive seen online , also i would like to know what species do i have because when i bought it , it was called just "water dog" but i want to be sure , thank you in advance

ps. i attached a couple of pics to see if anyone can help

Attachments

• photo (19).JPG
    photo (19).JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 107
  • photo (21).JPG
    photo (21).JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 96

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hand-feeding doesn't prevent grazing. Ambystomatids are 'rooters' and will dig around through the gravel for anything that looks like food (including poop, gross). So any amount of gravel is dangerous.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!