How slow can the eggs develop?

larn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My albino axolotl recently hatched eggs, i have 2 containers which have been on table with no heater, the temperature is between 13-17 degrees. (13 at night, up to 17 in the day) it's now day 5 and i don't see much happening.

The eggs are white, i think some of them appear to have changed a little, looks like there is a half moon or lighter colour of white in some of them, but that's all, they have not grown any bigger at all.

At this temperature, would it slow the development down a lot? i am a bit worried that there could be a problem

Be patient. Day 5 is about usual for the first signs of changing in shape. If you could put them somewhere slightly warmer they will develop faster.

Regards Neil

I'm on day 25 I think and the first one has just hatched over night!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back