Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Larvae, no exit for poop

lollypop

Reaction score
:eek:

Ok so don't know how to word it better.

One of my first hatchlings has been in a tub with 2 siblings, the other two growing well and pooping well. This one tiny little thing not thriving as much as the others,
So I was feeding them today and this little one seemed a little bent.
Watched him for a while, didn't seem interested in his food (bbs) swam fine, kept out of the other twos way.
But then he would stop and relax kinda slump to the side slightly and bend in the middle.
As this one is an albino and kinda clear as glass you could see the line of poop along his body ( just like the other beno's) but then it stops in a point, pointing towards the end of its tail. No little turn down towards an exit. :rolleyes:

So I put him in a little residence on his own, (takeaway tub type thing) so I could see if it was just my eyes playing tricks. Nope as a couple of hours later. Still inside pointing straight to his tail a line of poop, only now there is a bit more and it's kinda zig zagging as it builds up.

So my conclusion is, birth defect, no exit (so to speak) and apart from a couple of really unhelpful suggestions of poke it with a pin to make a hole :)rolleyes::eek: family don't ya love um). I don't think there is anything I can do.
So what would be the best way to dispatch the little thing.

Any help or suggestions great fully received

millerj76

Reaction score
:eek:

Ok so don't know how to word it better.

One of my first hatchlings has been in a tub with 2 siblings, the other two growing well and pooping well. This one tiny little thing not thriving as much as the others,
So I was feeding them today and this little one seemed a little bent.
Watched him for a while, didn't seem interested in his food (bbs) swam fine, kept out of the other twos way.
But then he would stop and relax kinda slump to the side slightly and bend in the middle.
As this one is an albino and kinda clear as glass you could see the line of poop along his body ( just like the other beno's) but then it stops in a point, pointing towards the end of its tail. No little turn down towards an exit. :rolleyes:

So I put him in a little residence on his own, (takeaway tub type thing) so I could see if it was just my eyes playing tricks. Nope as a couple of hours later. Still inside pointing straight to his tail a line of poop, only now there is a bit more and it's kinda zig zagging as it builds up.

So my conclusion is, birth defect, no exit (so to speak) and apart from a couple of really unhelpful suggestions of poke it with a pin to make a hole :)rolleyes::eek: family don't ya love um). I don't think there is anything I can do.
So what would be the best way to dispatch the little thing.

Any help or suggestions great fully received
SNAP!, having very similar problem, although seems to have a small peice of poop coming out, mines is upside down and can't seem to correct himself, i can see his heart and that is still beating, he's in on his own now and i hope he pulls through. What age are yours?

lollypop

Reaction score
He is about a week and a half old, but it's only about as big as one that was hatched two days ago, he has a bit of a pointy head as well, unless an exit turns up soon he is gonna have to be dispatched :( hope yours does better.

natjobe

Reaction score
Nature will take its course pretty quick if it is a birth defect. Try not to worry to much, it is life. Hope it pulls through!!!

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
apart from a couple of really unhelpful suggestions of poke it with a pin to make a hole

I won't lie, that was my first thought.

Really though, if it hasn't figured it out within a day or two, it'd probably be best to euthanize it.

larn

Reaction score
performing an operation to make an orifice might be worth a try, i believe you can use clove oil to adminster a general anesthetic, once he is sleeping you can do the operation out of the water.

I have done an operation on a fish before using this method to cure swim bladder, but i am not sure if clove oil is ok for axolotls. I think it would be really tricky to do and there is a chance that it will regenerate the skin back maybe

you only need to use about 1 or 2 drops as it is quite strong

lollypop

Reaction score
So, I seriously considered "poking with pin" and in the end after a good look at the little fella decided that my skills weren't up to the job. As the only way I could have gone in was though its side ( a bit like a colostomy bag :eek:)

And I wasn't sure on the dosing of clove oil for something of that size, as I know fish wise (even for a large fancy goldfish) 5 drops of clove oil with euthernise a fish.

So that's what I did with him :(

It was so compacted today that it was pushing back into his stomach and was bending him in half, and when he swam it was going round in circles.

Maybe if I'd had a bit more experiance of operating I might have attempted it.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
To be honest, I don't think poking him with a pin would have been a good idea. I think the bacteria from the faeces would have killed it. I'm glad you chose euthanasia.

lollypop

Reaction score
Thanks for that. It seemed the kindest thing in the end, my thinking was if it was in the wild it would probley have been eaten by something by now, natural selection if nothing else.
And as it was in my care it didn't need to suffer anymore.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
You did the right thing.

I think a lot of people on this forum fail to realize that not all axolotls are born perfectly happy and healthy. You just happened to get one. But it's good information to have; I never knew a birth defect like that existed!

millerj76

Reaction score
Lets hope for no more casualties, out of 11 i have 9 left, i know i could lose them all, as have read that there can be a lot of casualties, even though a few are big, they could just pass for no apparent reason. A few family members are interested in having them off me, i think a £1000 price tag will help them lose intrest,, want to keep them all

lollypop

Reaction score
Lol I know what you mean, but I have 24 individual axolotl apartments in my kitchen now, it's fascinating watching them grow. I want to keep them all.:D

It kinda reminds me of all the newts we used to have in our pond when I was a kid, I used to love catching them and looking at them, thought they were amazing,
They all went back in the pond.

I think I could get done for handerling them if they were still there these days.:eek:

But these get to grow to giants, there are so many pretty ones I want to keep, gonna have to resurrect the old 4ft tank and keep a couple at least.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1