Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: How much meth blue for fungus?

ali23

Reaction score
Hi there, I have an axolotl with bad fungus... he has been in the fridge and has had salt baths twice a day for the past 5 days now but none of the fungus seems to be shifting. I bought methylene blue to see if this would work but still nothing and id read that this was supposed to remove fungus quite quickly....

I was wondering if anybody knows exactly how much meth blue to put in for a 30 min bath?? Ive read half the normal dose for fish but the instructions on the bottle aren't clear at all and this would mean only putting in 1/4 of a ml to 2.5 litres of water. Could this be correct or way too little an amount?

Really want to get rid of this fungus asap so any help would be hugely appreciated :) thank you :)

My Lottie

Reaction score
HI there... I am only a new member , BUT.... I am on this site 3-4 times a day, :dizzy: and have read posts going back to 2007.... ALL say meth blue is DANGEROUS for Axies!!! :eek::eek: PLEASE wait for some more senior advise before you attempt to try it !!??
All the best...:happy:

ali23

Reaction score
thanks lottie :) ill hang off until i do some more research.. although ive looked on loads of posts on here and they say that it is safe to use in a small dose. Hmmm... not sure what to do then!!

I might post a pick if i can get one... He has white fluffy bits hanging off his toes, over his mouth and spread over one side of his gills. the skin underneath the cotton-wool like bits looks damaged, like red sores... and also, red blood vessels are more visible underneath his skin. Does this sound like fungus?

Thank you :)

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend methylene blue; there are much safer medications to use. For a list of generally 'safe' medication, see this article.

It sounds like the fungus you have is secondary to an infection. I would try to figure out why your animal has sores in the first place.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!