Question: Conflicting axolotl requirements

lordcycle

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok first let me say i've owned and bred the same firebelly newts i have for 5 years so i'm not a complete idiot when it comes to newts/salamanders.I've wanted axolotls for awhile now and even more when i recently saw them in a zoo. So i get online and get all the info i can. so i order 2 axolotls and go and buy a tank thinking i was getting the right size but then i come onto these fourms and people here are telling other people the complete opposite of what
the axolot sites say about housing requirements? And then they refer people to the site like axolot.org to get more beginner info. And on the site it says 2 adult axolots would fit fine in a 10 gallon tank? So i thought i was doing my axolots a favor by buying a 15 gallon high tank which has the same base as a 10 gallon tank. That buy-axolots site says the same thing? so now i dont know what to do? can i use my 15 gallon tank for 2 axolots?

In my humble opinion the more water your axies have the more stable it is both in temperature and in chemistry. maybe the serious experts will tell me i am wrong but i think they will be more than fine in a bigger area. I would imagine that those sizes are the minimum they will comfortably live in. Personally i have 3 axies living in a 250ltr tank and they are happy.

Axolotls can live in 1 gallon tubs if need be. They don't technically need that much room but it is debatable as to how happy they will be. There are always conflicting arguments when it comes to tank sizes.

The reason many on the forums here recommend larger tank sizes is because we think that axolotls in captivity deserve to have as much space as we can possibly give them. They are not exactly social creatures (they are perfectly happy living alone) and being in really close quarters with tank mates can lead to attacks and other bad things, especially if the axolotl feels like their space is being encroached on.

Most on Caudata recommend a 20g long tank (2ft) for one axolotl increasing in 10 gallons (and another foot of living space) for each extra axolotl. Although I believe there are some on this forum who have successfully kept two axolotls in 20g long tanks.
I don't know where you saw on Axolotl.org that 2 axies would be fine in a 10gal but the housing page (Axolotls - Housing in Captivity) recommends a tank at least 45cm (18inch) long for one axolotl.

While your tanks water capacity might end up being okay for two axies, the floor space is much more important as that is where they spend pretty much all their time.

I would definitely not use a 10 gallon footprint for 2 axolotls.

I think a 20 long is the MINIMUM for two.

The "high" part isn't helping them except adding a small amount of extra water for stability. But for their comfort, the footprint is more important and relevant as that's what they're going to utilise most of all, not the height.

I upgraded to a 20 long for my ONE axolotl because I felt 10 gallons was going to be too cramped when she reaches full size. I can't imagine having two in such a small foot-print. CAN they live in such a small space ? Sure, they do so in laboratory conditions all the time. But I'm assuming your goal is not just to keep them alive on what amounts to minimum life support, but to create a more natural habitat that is enjoyable for them and for you to watch them in.

Is there any way you can exchange the tank you have now ? You could also consider keeping it, and using it for something else, fish would appreciate a 15 high a lot more than an axolotl would. :)

Is there any way you can exchange the tank you have now ? You could also consider keeping it, and using it for something else, fish would appreciate a 15 high a lot more than an axolotl would. :)

Or maybe you can get a much bigger tank in case you want to make additions in the future and use this one as a quarantine/hospital tank? Having an extra tank can always be useful :rolleyes:

I would definitely not use a 10 gallon footprint for 2 axolotls.

I think a 20 long is the MINIMUM for two.

The "high" part isn't helping them except adding a small amount of extra water for stability. But for their comfort, the footprint is more important and relevant as that's what they're going to utilise most of all, not the height.

I upgraded to a 20 long for my ONE axolotl because I felt 10 gallons was going to be too cramped when she reaches full size. I can't imagine having two in such a small foot-print. CAN they live in such a small space ? Sure, they do so in laboratory conditions all the time. But I'm assuming your goal is not just to keep them alive on what amounts to minimum life support, but to create a more natural habitat that is enjoyable for them and for you to watch them in.

I bought a 20 gallon high tank for my firebelly newts since i was assuming my axolots would fit in the 15 gallon. I haven't set up the 20 gallon tank yet but the demensions on it are 24''L 13''W 16H'' would 2 axolots fit in this? The axolots i'm getting are juveniles so could i leave them in the 15 gallon untill there kinda of big and switch them over to the 20 gallon i just bought? I bought the 20 gallon high at petco since they had $1 a gallon sale and i bought having my firebelly newts in mind and it was the last 20 High they had so i grabbed it. My main thing is to not piss off my wife.She was mad because i brought a new tank home without telling her. Should i go buy the 20 long since it's on sale and hide it at my friends house and then when the axies are too big make a story up and say i got it for cheap on craigslist?

Axolotls can live in 1 gallon tubs if need be. They don't technically need that much room but it is debatable as to how happy they will be. There are always conflicting arguments when it comes to tank sizes.

The reason many on the forums here recommend larger tank sizes is because we think that axolotls in captivity deserve to have as much space as we can possibly give them. They are not exactly social creatures (they are perfectly happy living alone) and being in really close quarters with tank mates can lead to attacks and other bad things, especially if the axolotl feels like their space is being encroached on.

Most on Caudata recommend a 20g long tank (2ft) for one axolotl increasing in 10 gallons (and another foot of living space) for each extra axolotl. Although I believe there are some on this forum who have successfully kept two axolotls in 20g long tanks.
I don't know where you saw on Axolotl.org that 2 axies would be fine in a 10gal but the housing page (Axolotls - Housing in Captivity) recommends a tank at least 45cm (18inch) long for one axolotl.

While your tanks water capacity might end up being okay for two axies, the floor space is much more important as that is where they spend pretty much all their time.

Axolotls - Frequently Asked Questions

If you look at number #8 it says 2 axolots would fit fine in a 10 gallon with no problems.

I bought a 20 gallon high tank for my firebelly newts since i was assuming my axolots would fit in the 15 gallon. I haven't set up the 20 gallon tank yet but the demensions on it are 24''L 13''W 16H'' would 2 axolots fit in this? The axolots i'm getting are juveniles so could i leave them in the 15 gallon untill there kinda of big and switch them over to the 20 gallon i just bought? I bought the 20 gallon high at petco since they had $1 a gallon sale and i bought having my firebelly newts in mind and it was the last 20 High they had so i grabbed it. My main thing is to not piss off my wife.She was mad because i brought a new tank home without telling her. Should i go buy the 20 long since it's on sale and hide it at my friends house and then when the axies are too big make a story up and say i got it for cheap on craigslist?

It's certainly better, and if they're very small, would probably be fine for while. :) But I'd plan on upgrading. However, I just upgraded to a bigger tank, myself, and I have to say it's better to start off bigger and avoid the hassle of moving everything to a new tank (and making sure that tank is now stable and well-seeded with good bacteria from the old tank) and I'm glad I had a friend to help me.

Also, consider the waste they'll be producing. I don't know if you've had any totally aquatic tanks before, but 10 is going to be harder to keep stable than 20. Tiny lab containers work because they don't rely on cycling - the water is simply completely changed, but I don't find this to be at all practical for a larger tank - stressful for you and the axolotls.

To me two adults in a 10 gallon tank is a case of "I can, but should I?" My juvenile was getting cramped in a 10, and I would be hesitant to add another one to the 20 long I have now, since I know she's likely going to get quite a bit bigger. I try not to get emotional and project human emotions onto pets, I just think 10 gallons would be impractical for two adults and make it difficult to give them adequate hides and waste buffering.

And, haha, I got my new, bigger, tank on the $1 a gallon sale at Petco, too. If you can just exchange it, I would. Petco had some 40 breeders while I was there, and I was so tempted. I got a nice tank hood on sale there, too, and I'm loving having live plants in the tank, now. They'll help your mini ecosystem and they're great to look at and easier for my axolotl to play around in than the fake ones, which she was never keen on going near.

It's certainly better, and if they're very small, would probably be fine for while. :) But I'd plan on upgrading. However, I just upgraded to a bigger tank, myself, and I have to say it's better to start off bigger and avoid the hassle of moving everything to a new tank (and making sure that tank is now stable and well-seeded with good bacteria from the old tank) and I'm glad I had a friend to help me.

Also, consider the waste they'll be producing. I don't know if you've had any totally aquatic tanks before, but 10 is going to be harder to keep stable than 20. Tiny lab containers work because they don't rely on cycling - the water is simply completely changed, but I don't find this to be at all practical for a larger tank - stressful for you and the axolotls.

To me two adults in a 10 gallon tank is a case of "I can, but should I?" My juvenile was getting cramped in a 10, and I would be hesitant to add another one to the 20 long I have now, since I know she's likely going to get quite a bit bigger. I try not to get emotional and project human emotions onto pets, I just think 10 gallons would be impractical for two adults and make it difficult to give them adequate hides and waste buffering.

And, haha, I got my new, bigger, tank on the $1 a gallon sale at Petco, too. If you can just exchange it, I would. Petco had some 40 breeders while I was there, and I was so tempted. I got a nice tank hood on sale there, too, and I'm loving having live plants in the tank, now. They'll help your mini ecosystem and they're great to look at and easier for my axolotl to play around in than the fake ones, which she was never keen on going near.

Yeah i got some anachris (i think thats what there called) floating around the tank and some aponogenton bulbs sprouting But i'm thinking about buying some tiny pots to put the bulbs in since i don't have any substrate and since i think the axolots might try to eat the bulbs. I also bought 2 mid size pots so each axie has a hiding spot.

I'm guessing temperament plays into how well they do together in a small space. Mine's not reached adulthood yet, so was energetically bouncing off the walls of the 10 gallon tank and didn't have much room to work up a good swim before bonking into the other side.

You could add some suction-cup stick-on planters to the back or sides to utilise the height more, too - give them a "landing spot" and a bit of added space that way.

You might consider a small layer or sand, just .5" or so. I've got some planted in about 3/4" and she doesn't manage to uproot them very often. And I admit, I've been landscaping around what seem to be her preferred travel paths, since she kept uprooting the same plant, so I moved it.

Shrimp are fun to have in the tank, too. I love watching them for the few days they last before they become a snack for the axolotl. :p

I'm guessing temperament plays into how well they do together in a small space. Mine's not reached adulthood yet, so was energetically bouncing off the walls of the 10 gallon tank and didn't have much room to work up a good swim before bonking into the other side.

You could add some suction-cup stick-on planters to the back or sides to utilise the height more, too - give them a "landing spot" and a bit of added space that way.

You might consider a small layer or sand, just .5" or so. I've got some planted in about 3/4" and she doesn't manage to uproot them very often. And I admit, I've been landscaping around what seem to be her preferred travel paths, since she kept uprooting the same plant, so I moved it.

Shrimp are fun to have in the tank, too. I love watching them for the few days they last before they become a snack for the axolotl. :p

Can i have sand as substrate when there juveniles? That's the only reason i didn't buy any yet because everyone on here says that juveniles might try to eat the sand? Does play sand work good for plants? Can it even root into play sand?

How big are the axies you're getting ?

I'm not sure about play sand, I've never used it or considered it but I know people on here have and there are some good threads about it.

I have some very fine sand in mine, and the plants stay rooted unless my axolotl really smashes into them.

Keep in mind that axolotls typically get about 8" long. My two are getting closer to 10" and still growing. Can 2 axolotl survive in a ten gallon tank: Yes, but I'm sure you'd be doing more than 1 waterchange a week to keep the water parameters in check.
I agree that a 20 long is the minimum for 2 axolotls, a ten gallon with 2 axolotls would look depressing to me.
Why not just get 1 axolotl if you want to get a small tank?

Carson touched on the point I wanted to make here. Yes, you can keep two axolotls in a 10 gallon. But you're going to have water quality issues, and they're going to chomp on each other. Bigger tanks are recommended because it makes it easier to keep them. You could keep them in a fish bowl, but you'll have to do constant water changes. By having a big tank, you make it a lot easier on yourself in the long run.

We have a responsibility as keepers of exotic animals to provide them with the best care that we can. You can go as minimal or as fancy as you want. Just keep the welfare of the animals in mind too.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back