Identify this salamander?

drpicklo

Reaction score
Country
United States
This one was found in the SE USA - can anyone help me identify it? Total length is between 4 and 5". Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Post_Salamander_ID.jpg
    Post_Salamander_ID.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 330
It´s a Desmognathus sp. Someone else will be able to identify the species.

In what state of the SE did you find it?

looks like D. monticola to me.

Mike

I thought so too.

It's a Desmognathus, but identifying the species will require knowing the state, [depending on which state], and habitat. Desmos are often difficult to identify without that information because color and pattern are highly variable and highly overlapping. Tail shape is a critical feature, belly color can be useful, and locality can be critical for species which are morphologically similar.

Northeast Georgia - roadside temporary stream (post-rain). Also, belly is a light tan and is somewhat transparent.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Desmognathus monticola looks to be correct. Although the coloration is a bit darker is has all of the charectoristics in the tail shape, blotches, head shape, etc.

Thank you all!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back