New wild caught Long toed salamander!!

burningchick3n

Reaction score
Country
United States
First off i would like to say that i am new to this forum and i thank you all for the help that has been provided to me and i am excited to join the fascinating community of caudata! I have wanted a salamander for a while so my dad brought me home 2 long toed salamanders that he found under a piece of plywood at the oil refinery. I put them in a ten gallon with wet paper towels temporarily and i just got back from the pet store with all the nescessary supplies. I have their tank setup as follows:
Fine cocofiber substrate
A layer of flukers sphagnum moss on one side
and a half-log hideout
i threw in a few crickets with them an i was surprised that they ate a couple. I will post a few pics asap

Welcome to the forum! I am totally jealous of the long-toes. They have been a dream species of mine forever.

You'll need to ditch the sphagnum, and mix some dirt in with your coco fiber. Keep it damp but not soggy.

These guys are awesome feeders and very outgoing. They're like little mini-tigers.

I have heard that about sphagnum from others, what is so bad about it?

Supposedly it causes acidic conditions which can be harmful. I've kept frogs and salamanders on it for years without any problems. I have a feeling it just depends on what type of sphagnum you use.

Sphagnum peat moss is the real culprit - it can have a pH of 3. So many different types of products are called 'sphagnum'. You can take a pH sample of the product you are using to determine if it is safe.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back