Question: Axolotl babies

laura42251

Reaction score
Country
United States
My babies started hatching Dec 13th 2011. I am in need of advise in what to feed them. I first used daphnia pulex and frozen tubiflex worms, then moved on to daphnia magna (using only the baby ones) and frozen daphnia. Now I am using daphnia monia babies. What else can I use to feed these baby axolotls?? I am at a loss.....? I have about 100 babies left and they are hungry. Thanks for any help. Laura

my first thought was baby brine shrimp but then I see they are almost a month old. Not sure of their size but maybe chopped up blood worms, small sinking soft trout pellets, maybe you could chop those up.

I am sure there will be others along that will point you in the right direction.

You may want to add how big they are at the moment. Maybe a pic or two.

Best of Luck

Thanks Jason! My babies are about 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch long. I am trying to send a picture.

Attachments

• IMAG0094[1].JPG
    IMAG0094[1].JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 338
I would hatch out some baby brine shrimp to feed them. While they are hatching, could take up to 2 days, you could chop up the blood worms really fine.

YouTube is a good resource on hatching baby brines.

Cute little guy!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back