Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Sand eating - Not sure if I should worry

sillymoogle7

Reaction score
Hi all,
My leucistic Xenophon has recently started eating sand, sometimes he spits it out but sometimes he is determined to swallow it. He's eating fine, there have been no changes to his environment or diet recently and he ambles around at his usual lazy lotl pace. Should I be concerned or is this behaviour others have noticed?
Thanks for your time,
sillymoogle7

natjobe

Reaction score
It will really depend on how fine the sand is, finer the better. Just keep an eye on it and if there is floating then worry. You can then change substrate. I am sure it'll be fine, mine eats a little sand he just poops it out.

sillymoogle7

Reaction score
I've just had the charming experience of watching Xenophon relieve himself and have done a little amateur dissection on the result. It was mainly sand, a perfectly formed sand pellet really so he seems to be passing it comfortably enough. And there is no floating or problem with his appetite. Just hope it dissuades him from tucking into more!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!