Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Water Problem?

lisordactyl

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I've got a little 'problem' with water at the minute. Fortunately Clifford is fine, but I want to do his partial water change, but heard that there's a problem with the local water supply.

A mains water pipe broke a little while ago which resulted in the whole town being without water for a day. It's fixed now, HUZZAH! But as a result, apparently there's been some chemicals in the water (or something...?) and two separate aquarium places have said that fish from where we live have been getting ill and the tests they've done on the water have been less than ideal.

I don't know exactly what they've been testing the water for, or even what sort of fish have been affected, though, I know my friend has tropical fish. I've used my API Fresh Water Master kit and everything seems to be fine. Is the problem unlikely be detectable with this kit or would they have tested for something else & should I avoid the partial change and/or get some bottled water for now?

Thanks in advance!

[Also, long time no speak. I hope you're all dandy :) ]

lollypop

Reaction score
Have you tried going online for the water quality, they should give you a complete breakdown of the water being supplied to you.
Have the water company told you not to drink the water?

And I think you have to check bottled for a breakdown as some are worse than some tap waters.

I would check online quality, and from there either panic, :eek: or just test your water everyday for a bit, tap and tank.

iChris

Reaction score
you'll probably find if the water has been contaiminated due to the pipe breakage, it will eventually flush itself out of the network in time.

the only thing I could suggest is to call your water provider and ask lots and lots of questions!

lisordactyl

Reaction score
Thanks for your very sensible suggestions, guys!

I've had a quick look online and all I can really see is 'IT'S OK TO DRINK!'. There's a massive breakdown, but I'm not really sure what to look at that could indicate 'danger'? Any ideas?

I'm gunna give the water company a call, and also pop down to the reptile shop in town - he has several caudates in so I'm gunna question if how he's experienced any problems or heard of this water problem!

Thanks again :)

Neil C

Reaction score
You could always do the water change using non carbonated spring water. This should be fine as a one off. Impurties in the water supply should get flushed through pretty quickly so I imagine your water will be back to it's old self in about a week.

Regards Neil

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!