Question: Donor Spermatophores, will they work?

Dr0gr1n

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Jason R Davis
If one was able to obtain spermatophores from someone how long are they viable to use? Are they viable to use? Will a female accept a spermatophore without a male in the tank? Is a male needed in the tank to persuade the female to accept the spermatophore?

I only ask to see if this will work after seeing another member asking for doner spermatophores.

I have a female that I believe is full of eggs but no male to get fertile eggs.

Re: Doner Spermatophores, will they work?

I can't really answer your question with any solid evidence. However, I would assume that because males generally have to 'lead' the female around the tank to help them find the spermatophore that it wouldn't be possible to just drop one in and have the female take to it. I think there's a whole sort of little ritual to the mating process and it wouldn't work otherwise.
The other thing is that you never know if your female will be receptive, sometimes even when males attempt to mate with them they just ignore them and get annoyed more than anything else, lol.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back