Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Incredibly sick axi... please help!!!

Boo Penguin

Reaction score
Hi everyone

So I've jetted off overseas and left my axi in the care of my family, before I left she seemed a bit impacted (and refused food) so I had them put her in the fridge. She has now gone downhill, they say she passed a white poo which resembled animal fat (since her last meal was worms I don't know why this would happen). They also say she now has a very swollen and red cloaca and is getting fungus on her gills. She is also very bloated though she now hasn't eaten in over 2 weeks.

I am extremely worried about my little baby, I've only had her just shy of a year and up until now she has always been perky and in great heath... I don't want to lose her!!!

Please help, I will try to answer any questions but keep in mind I am half way around the world and can't actually see my axi or do any measurements myself.

EEVEE84

Reaction score
Hi so sorry to hear that! I know what you're going through as I'm going through a rough patch with my one :(

What does she normally eat? Have they been feeding her something different or new? Maybe u should try fridging her again (they can be in the fridged for long time) you can also try and do some salt baths for the fungus and redness (there's a thread on that here) or tea baths and keep her fridged. Maybe it's worth going to the aquatic shop if you've got a good one for advice and maybe some medication :axolotl.org has a list of safe medication. Try and feed her something small like frozen bloodworms maybe.

Could she swollen a stone or a gravel?

Sorry if this is not very helpful but I'm quite a newbie with lots of reaserch and theory but only 4 months practice :p

Hope all goes well for both of you!

shells

Reaction score
Hi Boo,
Are you anywhere near an axie friendly vet they could have a chat to or take her in for a visit? Im not sure what would cause the swelling and bloating. Obvioulsy salt baths would assist with the fungus, but may place more stress on the poor little thing..

Boo Penguin

Reaction score
Hi so sorry to hear that! I know what you're going through as I'm going through a rough patch with my one :(

What does she normally eat? Have they been feeding her something different or new? Maybe u should try fridging her again (they can be in the fridged for long time) you can also try and do some salt baths for the fungus and redness (there's a thread on that here) or tea baths and keep her fridged. Maybe it's worth going to the aquatic shop if you've got a good one for advice and maybe some medication :axolotl.org has a list of safe medication. Try and feed her something small like frozen bloodworms maybe.

Could she swollen a stone or a gravel?

Sorry if this is not very helpful but I'm quite a newbie with lots of reaserch and theory but only 4 months practice :p

Hope all goes well for both of you!
Hi,

She normally eats worms or thin strips of beef, her diet hasn't changed since virtually the day I got her. As I said I'm in the USA and my axi is in Australia with my parents and sister. They are fridging her and giving salt baths as per this sites tutorial.

Unfortunatley there are no really good aquatic shops around where I live and no vets who have any experience with these critters.

I only keep a thin layer of sand in her tank... nothing she could swallow that would cause her trouble.

I'm really hoping to hear some good news today

shells

Reaction score
Hi,
How's your girl going?
She'll go off her food while in the fridge. Does she still look impacted? Maybe it might be worth a try to take her out and see if she improves once the fungus clears up :confused: If she's only on a thin layer of sand I doubt the bloating would be caused from impaction, and think maybe something more sinister is in play :( I'm sorry someone with more knowledge/experience hasn't offered more help.
Hope she improves soon

Boo Penguin

Reaction score
Hi,
How's your girl going?
She'll go off her food while in the fridge. Does she still look impacted? Maybe it might be worth a try to take her out and see if she improves once the fungus clears up :confused: If she's only on a thin layer of sand I doubt the bloating would be caused from impaction, and think maybe something more sinister is in play :( I'm sorry someone with more knowledge/experience hasn't offered more help.
Hope she improves soon
I'll be checking later and letting you guys know how she is doing. However as of yesterday there was no improvement.

I really hope she'll get better, the only thing I have recently changed was adding a chiller to her tank and I can't see how that would hurt her!!!

EEVEE84

Reaction score
Is she eating/pooing at all? Don't know for how long you could do salt baths...maybe it's worth just putting her in tank with chiller on so the temp is nice and low, check water parameters often and do water changes if necessary feed her and see how she is, maybe she needs stability and to be left alone for a while without stress...unless the fungus is a big issue...there r meds u can add to water (on axolotl.org)...sorry I'm just guessing here :(

Boo Penguin

Reaction score
Well my family is going overseas in a couple of days so she will be back in her chilled tank, I hope she survives the time they are gone :(

I feel so bad that I'm not there to look after her

My Lottie

Reaction score
Hi Boo...:cool: are you any where near me in Bairnsdale, Vic....???? if so, maybe I could help if your folks have to go away too. :confused: If not, I think she is best in her tank with the chiller on... your axie is lucky you could afford a chiller!!! :ha: Let me know :happy:

Boo Penguin

Reaction score
Hi Boo...:cool: are you any where near me in Bairnsdale, Vic....???? if so, maybe I could help if your folks have to go away too. :confused: If not, I think she is best in her tank with the chiller on... your axie is lucky you could afford a chiller!!! :ha: Let me know :happy:
Thanks for the offer but where I live in Aus isn't anywhere near there :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1