Hi from flroida

frogmandan

Reaction score
Country
United States
hi all im dan, im 26 and from florida.
im new to the newt side of herping but i wanted a newt for many years
i am a certified and trained wildlife handler with a nfp eco education org. called "hands on wildlife safaris" we mostly do large cats and other animals from florida or which have been introduced to this state like the berms.
I myself have worked with or had many diffrent animals/reptiles/anphibeans over the last few years most raised with me then sent to the zoo for holding then for shows.

myt past pets include 3 beardies, 3 corn snakes, 4 firebelly toads, 1 chinese water dragon , as well as 1 whites tree frog, three pacman frogs, and my last one was a southern toad"just put on exibit with H.O.W.S.

now as of today i got a fire bellied newt and its going to be a fully permaniant pet for me so
if you guys/girls got any addvice for a bigger newt keeper "dont know that much about them" let me know.

thanks
dan
:smile:

Welcome to the forum, Dan!

Your firebelly is actually a paddletail newt! Check out a caresheet here.

thanks for the input i hate it when they sell me the wrong thing and call it another one

ive added 3 gallons more water to the tank and the newt is moving hapily around the tank i left the water filter and the stream rock becase i thaught it just looked cool and removed the other big land in the cage
(ill post some pics in a few hours)

it is crazy how they look vary simular to the fire bellied newts too

Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you have a very interesting job, something if I was younger would love to do. I am a animal lover. I have also had in the past bearded dragons, water dragons and a pac man frog. I have bred corn snakes, king snakes and ball pythons. My collection now is dogs, cats, an argentine black & white tegu, a blue tongue skink, a tiger salamander, and a gray tree frog which we found in all places our toilet !! We had a broken pipe and fiqured he climbed up :) He lives happily in a 10 gallon tank and has crickets delivered every couple of days, he will even eat from my hand. Now getting ready to add 2 axolotls next week. Enjoy your newt.
Doreen

yah its fun but by far its not a job but more of a hobby its all valinteer with the zoo and i lovin it

this is the updated tank

100_0664.jpg

100_0665.jpg

100_0666.jpg

100_0667.jpg

100_0668.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back