Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Does female miss the eggs?

larn

Reaction score
Do you think the female knows the eggs are missing? since the eggs were extracted from the tank i noticed the mother was looking around the tank, digging the sand etc i feel a bit sorry about it.

anyone else noticed this behavier?

larn

Reaction score
Are you sure? when you look at other species there is a common trate that mothers want to protect their eggs or babies, look at how birds protect their eggs, i can think of lots of examples of this in nature

lollypop

Reaction score
I left most of my eggs in the tank with mom and pop, all they did was wait for them to hatch so she could nom them.:eek:

Nature of the beast really.

memojo1979

Reaction score
I don't know whether axolotls naturally have territories in the wild, or whether they just wander, but since they are "programmed" to snap at anything that moves in front of them, I doubt they'd stay near their eggs. They're more likely to wander off, so they're not tempted to eat their own offspring ;)

larn

Reaction score
Maybe they dont protect them, but it's just that captain snapper, she is acting strange digging up the sand. Seems like she is looking for something

memojo1979

Reaction score
Maybe she could smell them + is now wondering where the future food source has gone?
Especially if any of the "slime" is left behind. I'm not saying it's not a possibility, but I wouldn't expect axies to protect their eggs... Unless they do, until just before hatching? I don't know. But, nearly all pets that breed have their offspring removed at some point, when they're rehomed, so either way, you're not doing anything cruel ;)

iSuzie

Reaction score
Female axolotls are not marturnal. They will not miss there egg's and will eat one of there "baby's" if given the chance. If your axie was looking for something it would of been food, after laying egg's a female axolotl will need an extra source of protein to help her recover. The best thing to giver her is a big juicy worm for her efforts.

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
Are you sure? when you look at other species there is a common trate that mothers want to protect their eggs or babies, look at how birds protect their eggs, i can think of lots of examples of this in nature

Scattering eggs all over the place is not a sign of maternal instinct. Axolotls show a different tactic. They have the adaptive advantage of laying large numbers of scattered eggs in the hope that just one lives to adulthood and reproduce.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1