Illness/Sickness: Injured axolotl: Need advice/help

ArdyBay

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I went to my sister's wedding this weekend and left my axolotls in the care of my housemates. They have had experience with taking care of my babies before, so I had no concerns.
I usually feed them nightcrawlers but I have run out so I've gone back to using blood worms and give them about 3 cubes each. I fed them before I left but asked my roommate to give them a few on Saturday just to tide them over. Usually, I take one out and individually feed them the worms, but I don't do this with bloodworms because it is messy and they usually are okay.
I come home to find Godric (the wild type male) to be a little more active than usually and Albus (albino female; at least I think she's female) hiding behind the filter. That was normal. She likes the filter for some reason.
Well, she comes out of hiding and I find the end of her tail to be chomped off, and two of her feet mutilated. My axies have never had problems with each other. Sometimes they snap at each other during bloodworm feedings but never anything too violent and I always supervise them during feeding.
I'd like any advice on what to do for Albus. She's currently being fridged. I'd also like to know what could have caused this.
I'm posting pictures as soon as I figure out how.

photo-2.jpg

photo-3.jpg

photo-4.jpg

ouchies could it be that they didnt get fed enough while you were away and the others decided to make a snack out of poor albus? I hope someone can reassure you but they seems to be pretty good at regenerating their limbs so hopefully she will be right as rain soon xx

Poor baby !!:( I would be starting her up in a tank of her own... the feet nibble may have been accidental, BUT the tail.... I don't like to think about it!!:mad: :eek:

Yes they do grow back limbs.. I have experience of my grandson's growing a whole new leg... can't tell the difference now. Tails,.... I'm not sure, but with their regenerative abilities... maybe. Best of luck..."Lottie's mum

I'm not sure how fridging would work for limb regeneration and wound healing. Since it slows them down, it seems it would slow down healing ?

Why ? I don't know. Did whoever was feeding them watch them eat ? Did they see this happen ? Does anything else show signs of damage or a struggle ?

Mine grew back a bit of her tail, although it wasn't that much damage - but I'd suspect it's likely. :)

It looks like bites to me. I feed my lot in different areas of the tank as they will bite each other when there is food around. I would make sure the water is clean and cool and watch out for any potential fungus.

The younger the axolotls are, the quicker and more completely they heal in general. Just make sure poor albus is kept clean and is feed a little more than usual and he should repair the damage.

It would be interesting to see the process. Keep us posted, and good luck!

My little golden Fudge lost a foot the other day and there is no aggresion among my three smaller axies. I can only assume that the foot got in the way of a worm.

I always make sure they are well apart before feeding so they have no excuse.
I can see signs of regrowth already.

Perhaps some of the bloodworms from the cube got stuck to the tail or feet and the other guys smelt it and mistook them for food.
I agree perhaps on it's own until started to heal so no one makes anymore food mistakes.
Hope it heals soon.

Thanks everyone for your help!
She's been in the fridge for 24 hours and the swelling in her foot has gone down a great deal. I plan on taking her out some time tomorrow and keeping her in a separate tank from Godric until she's healed.
Does anyone know of anything that I can safely use in the water to prevent infection, fungus, or bacteria?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back