Illness/Sickness: Something very very wrong with axie need help!!!

andyng00

Reaction score
Country
China
Display Name
Andy
I need urgent help !!! Today i found my new axie deceased he was ok yesterday but he just up and died today, i bought him just a few weeks ago and now hes............ Can anyone tell me what happened to him ??? Disease ??? Bacteria ??? Anything ???

(how he died and other need to know: He wasn't floating he was on the bottom, he has tankmates but woundn't pose any threat, bare bottom, parameters ok, bought him a few weeks ago three weeks and a half to be precise, breeder was feeding him feeder fish in a tank with small gravel, fed him with superworms and mealworms the first three days and he hasnt eaten since, bought with 2 others)

(how i found him: Black eyes, white gills, red bloated body, very very swollen cloaca, shortened tail, bloated mouth, bulge near the gills, as well as a hole near it, red limbs with blemishes)

the others are fine for now but im scared it might be a plague and kill the others... Changed 3forth of the water already

could it be a disease that came from the breeder ??? The others are fine even the ones i bought along with it but might succumb if it truly is a disease

opinions grately grately accepted anything at all!!!

Pics. To come heavy files to upload

Feeder fish arent a very good food source for axolotls. It sounds like he was impacted due to ingesting gravel.

Please remove all gravel/stones that are NOT bigger than their head.... they can ingest them !!!!:eek: Hope your others are ok !

My axie survived a year, out in the back pond living solely on "white clouds" (google it).... she was found in the pond when we bought the house !! :confused: They are a tiny minnow, and do not nibble the frills... they keep well away....:nono:

Best of luck...:happy:

Wanted to mention that the issue could have potentially had to do with the mealworms/superworms. Axolotls can sometimes have trouble digesting the chitin (which I believe is their hard exoskeleton) so it is recommended to only feed mealworms as a treat or only if no other food source is available.
If you have to feed mealworms, I'd go for the smaller ones rather than the larger ones.
Also, you should crush the mealworms head as they can bite an axolotl which may have also caused problems - especially if the mealworm managed to bite something while it was already inside the axolotl which it sounds like may have happened if there was a hole near your axies gills... ?

Aside from these issues, they are not a very nutritional food for axolotls anyway.

i dont think impaction is the problem though, he's an 8.5 inch axie!!! and ido crush the head i even remove the tail as well also ive seen the mealworms i fed him in his poop already

very very poor looking axie
havent slept much, too worried of other axies :(

Attachments

• IMG_0805.jpg
    IMG_0805.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 419
  • IMG_0814.jpg
    IMG_0814.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 1,513
  • IMG_0826.jpg
    IMG_0826.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 393
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back