Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Eggs everywhere!

axolotlfreak56

Reaction score
Ok, very excited about this. Wasn't expecting my pair to breed so soon, but what's done is done. This is actually day 2 for the eggs.

So the eggs have been transfered to a ten gallon tank. I have an air stone in there as well. My concern is what happens if they even hatch. Lowering te water level is a good idea, but should I take the air stone out? Obviously a harsh flow of water isn't good for any axolotl, but this is my first time hatching the larvae. Should I remove the air stone after/before they hatch or is it ok to keep the air stone in with them?

Attachments

• My Axolotl.png
    My Axolotl.png
    506.4 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:

danchristopher

Reaction score
You don't need the air stone before they hatch. The eggs have all the oxygen they need inside the little egg sack so the air stone isn't doing a whole lot.
Lowering the water level would be a good idea when they hatch as you want to try feeding them with daphnia or newly hatched brine shrimp and they will have an easier time finding the tiny moving food in less water.

Is this your first time raising eggs? If so, you might not want to keep all of them and cull some now. Raising even a handful of larvae can be a bit stressful, and especially if you've never done it before it might be better to get rid of some now so you can focus your efforts on the remaining few. I kept 20 of my eggs, and that was more than enough for me.

Look around this forum, there are plenty of threads with tons of info on how to raise them, and don't neglect the breeding page on Axolotl.org either.

Good luck :D

axolotlfreak56

Reaction score
Yeah this is my first time. I can easily get a food source, so I'm not too worried about feeding them. But when they do hatch, I know some people that would want some. Ok, so the air stone isn't doing a whole lot right now, but when they do hatch, should I take it out? That's my main concern because I don't want to kill them with a harsh waterflow that can easily be avoided.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1