Skin fungus ...or what?

smreisz

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have noticed one of our tiger salamanders has developed a black, wrinkly, looking something on his back and top of head. See pictures. I have had these guys for 2 years now and just noticed it about a week ago. Have been reading some of this thread and wondering if it is related. The salamander is still eating and produces waste without problem.

Attachments

• DSCN3947.jpg
    DSCN3947.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 1,004
That almost looks like the skin is burnt to me.
Do you have a picture of your enclosure? the bit that´s visible in the pic seems very unsuitable for this species. Bare in mind they need deep soil to dig in.

Yeah, that picture bothers me. Reptile carpet is nothing to keep a salamander on.

Does kind of look like a burn. Reptile carpet.. that's a new one. Shouldn't even be used with reptiles. Are you also providing them with a heat lamp as if they were reptiles?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back