Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New tank old water?

madink

Reaction score
YAY just got my new 4ft tank, now for the setup. Just need some help on transferring from old tank to new please. Should I use the sand I have & fill the new tank with the old water?
I plan to use all the plants I have plus a few new ones I bought & transfer over all the hides.
Also, I need a new filter. The tank is 124 cm x 50 cm x 60cm

Chirple

Reaction score
I recently upgraded my tank, too. :D

It's best to take most of what you can from the old tank to the new one - you will bring your good bacteria over and help cycling get going without starting from nothing.

I siphoned most of the old water into buckets and added it to the new tank after I moved the sand (which consisted of me scooping it into a bowl with my hands and then adding to the new, bare tank).

You do not have to use your old sand if you don't want to, but you certainly can and although it's not as filled with good bacteria as say, rough rock or gravel, it will be of some use.

Put the old filter in there, too (along with the new one), for about two-three weeks to help seed the new tank. :)

Reactions: Ed

millerj76

Reaction score
I recently setup a new 4ft tank without cycling using the water from the tank my two axxies were in previous, and have recently had to empty the tank and move it, i saved part of the old water and added some fresh , my axxies are fine. Also do you have a filter, if so and its too small for your new tank, then maybe you could just part fill your tank with an amount of water that your smaller filter can handle,as axxies don't neccesarily need a lot of depth, its what i've done with mine, then once you get a new filter you could fill the tank more.

lollypop

Reaction score
The other thing you can do if you can't put the old filter in, is to move all the old media from old to new filter. Have had great success with doing that. I also like to keep a little spare filter ticking over in at least one of my tanks so if needs be I have the ability to knock up a hospital tank PDQ either as a QT for newbies or sick tank. (then if that tank has a treatment or something is found in a QT animal I can get rid of old media. Sterilise filter and start it again in one of the established tanks)

millerj76

Reaction score
The other thing you can do if you can't put the old filter in, is to move all the old media from old to new filter. Have had great success with doing that. I also like to keep a little spare filter ticking over in at least one of my tanks so if needs be I have the ability to knock up a hospital tank PDQ either as a QT for newbies or sick tank. (then if that tank has a treatment or something is found in a QT animal I can get rid of old media. Sterilise filter and start it again in one of the established tanks)
I agree, i've also done that, it saves a hell of a lot of time, rather than waiting for the new filter to establish

madink

Reaction score
;). Thanks for all the replies guys. Still haven't made the move yet :confused: The tank seems so empty, so I'm stocking up on plants & hides.

millerj76

Reaction score
Seeing an empty tank kills me, the desire to set it up is so powerful, haha. Patience is definetly not a strong point of mine. Still if you have the patience, its good to aquire all that you want for your tank and then set it up.

Grete

Reaction score
I would ditch the old tank water. It's carrying your ammonia & other unwanted stuff. All of your beneficial bacteria will be growing amongst your substrate, on your decor & as previously stated, in your filter media. However, if your filter hasn't been running for a couple hours, then I wouldn't consider the media to be good & ditch that as well.

madink

Reaction score
Seeing an empty tank kills me, the desire to set it up is so powerful, haha. Patience is definetly not a strong point of mine. Still if you have the patience, its good to aquire all that you want for your tank and then set it up.

:cool: me too ... so I went on a shopping spree (thanks Visa) & the tank is now cycling. i have my fingers crossed this will be the shortest cycle on record cause I can't wait to see my guys in their new home !!!

again thanx for all the great advice

madink

Reaction score
Finally got the tank set up & my guys are in their new home. Everyone seems to be having a good time exploring all the hides :D
The pics aren't the best ... any suggestions welcome

Attachments

• new tank.jpg
    new tank.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 250
  • photo (6).jpg
    photo (6).jpg
    113 KB · Views: 253
  • tank2.jpg
    tank2.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 221
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1