Axolotl is very fat and does not swim. PLs help!

BuHg3oP

Reaction score
Country
Latvia
Hello.

I am having a problem with one of my axolotls. (I have two, apr. 16 cm long each) The day before yesterday I fed them some beef. Yesterday they were both swimming.

The white one feels alright, is swimming and seems happy today, but the grey one is laying on the ground with his belly rather big. Yesterday evening he was standing with his head pointing slightly upwards. He sometimes swims to the surface to get some air and then lands heavily. He does not swim very much and only walks on the ground, but is laying most of the time. His belly is touching the ground. The belly seems to be heavy.

The ground cover is stone, not very small, and they have never swallowed it. App. 1 cm and bigger in diameter, so it barely fits in their mouth. The temp. is 21 - 22 'C with good filtration and air supply. I have some vegetation as well.

Could you please help, what might be the problem, overfed? I am very worried. :(

I suspect a couple of causes for this. The first is that beef is very unsuitable for axolotl, I would use live earthworms. The second is the stones, and I think this will be the cause. Unfortunately an axolotl your size will be able to consume the stones. You may be able to feel them if you gently feel your axolotl's stomach. I would suggest removing all the stones now, you can leave the tank bare bottomed, or use play/aquarium sand instead. To help your axolotl's attempts to void the stones, you will need to place them somewhere cooler. This could be a cooler room, or even a fridge. The following article is very helpful :- Axolotl Sanctuary
Hopefully this will help you.

Thank you for the quick response.

So you think that 1cm stones are very small? I feed axolotls from hands, so they do not really have chances to breathe the stones in.

I will definitely remove the stones or put much bigger ones (5 - 6 cm) on top of the small ones to cover the whole bottom.

But what would be the actions to take now? Just wait till stones get out? (Of course I will not feed the grey one until he gets much better) Do you think the stones would make it out by themselves? As the diameter is rather big, half of the head size, so about a quarter of the belly size. I can't imagine how they even fit in there :) And you suggest fridging, yes?

I have enclosed a picture of the sick axie. You can view it here:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...a.519692272598.97586.223709373&type=3&theater
or alternatively here
20501-sick-axolotl
:( You can see the stones there as well. You think those are small enough to swalow? :(

Can it be purely the digestion problem?

Last edited:
I would say that your axolotl has more than likely inhaled some of those stones and they look just about the right size to cause an impaction unfortunately. :(
I would remove the stones, not just cover them up. Even if you don't see your axolotl eating them and you hand feed them, they like to shuffle around in their substrate and will occasionally snap and just swallow up a stone. You should keep them on sand substrate or no substrate at all.

Fridging may help your axolotl to attempt to pass the stones, or throw them up. Hopefully the latter, if your axolotl does attempt to pass them it may lead to further complications.

Thank you very much.

I will get to fridging procedure right away! Again, thank you very much. I will post as soon as he gets better.

Just before I wanted to take the other axie out and clean the aquarium from all the gravels, he swallowed one just in front of my eyes!

So now ...

One axolotl is in the fridge, the other one is laying with a small stone inside in an almost empty aquarium, with only vegetation and some grottoes left... Am very stressed. Will call the vet of our central zoo tomorrow and hopefully get his help.

Hey there...;) We all make mistakes !! I had the same small stones in my tank, and used to hand feed, too, but sometimes the axies are just gutsy, and vaccum up anything !!! :eek: Remove small ones completely , as leaving under neath makes cleaning harder, and the axies can dig !
My lottie had same symptoms as yours, and stopped eating after 2 weeks of slowly refusing food day by day.... then I found this wonderful site... and worked out she has probably swallowed a stone...:eek: I fridged her ,but only for a couple of days... no poop.... so put her back in her stoneless tank..... finally after a month of NOT eating... she perked up, and now would " eat a horse " if she could.... still no poop, so I am really hoping she is ok !!:confused:

Wish you the best of luck with yours... keep us informed..:happy:

Hi.

Just changed water for the fridged axolotl, he pooed, but still no signs of stones yet, will wait. He is looking alright, standing and moving, but veeeery slooowly :) Changing water was a complicated task not to touch him in order not to "burn" with my body's 36,6 'C, but everything went ok.

As for the second one, can still see a small white stone in his belly stuck around 1cm higher than the cloak, it shifts a bit too as he swims. Hopefully this small one will pass.

How do you think? The stone is about 0.5 cm for the axie 16 cm long.

Unfortunately, we do not have a proper surgeon in my country, so have to do all my best and wait, although there is a consultant for reptilians in our central zoo, she also told to wait and hope for the best.

Do you think I should keep the axolotl in the fridge till it thows up / passes the stones, or get him back into the tank after a week (or two?) if no success?

Thank you.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back