Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hi there.

MattM

Reaction score
Hello. My name is Matt, and I have been lurking here for a while. I figured I'd introduce myself now because I don't want to start analyzing my bug pictures. I am fresh out of college with a degree in Zoology, and trying to find a real job. Yay! My main interests are chameleons, moss and turtles, but since moving to Kentucky to do an internship, I have grown back into salamanders. I used to love salamanders as a kid, and I used to be able to catch a whole bunch. When I was in southern Illinois I would catch tons of slimy salamanders, and that also got me more interested. Now all I can think about is going out in the hills behind my residence and finding some. My main interests are the lung-less salamanders. I think the direct development, and their habitat style is really awesome. There is a vernal pool behind the complex, and I will check it later on in feb to see what I can find, but I mostly want to find some Aneides aeneus, Eurycea lucifuga, any Desmognathus spp, and any Plethodon spp. I would like to keep some of these species, but being an intern and having no clue with where I will be moving to next, I know it is not the best idea. I really like the habitat style of Aneides aeneus, and would like to set one of these up, but I have to wait for more of a permanent residence. I am fine with just finding these guys out in the wild for now though.
If anyone is interested in going out herping that is in eastern Kentucky, then let me know and I will go along. I usually just wander around my complex, and up the side of the mountain here, so anything different would be nice.

Cheers!

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Matt :D
Don't forget to take a camera with you when you go out herping, I am pretty sure we would love to see what you find.

MattM

Reaction score
Chances are I would come back with 1000's of pictures of moss logs or moss rocks. I don't have a camera with me here, but maybe I can convince the bosslady to let me borrow hers. I feel like I say "aw look at that cool moss!" every 23 seconds on these hills.
Nature is pretty neat.

frogmandan

Reaction score
thanks for finaly letting yourself known,

i know the feeling with me being a certified husbandry/wildlife handler myself and down here in florida its a pritty big reptile feild to be in so i get were your coming from

last time i was in the everglades i filled 2 32 mb memory cards with mostly pictures of the landscape so i know how that is for shure

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!