Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Red wigglers

speckles

Reaction score
i heard earthworms are the best thing for salamanders but i the only type of worms that are sold around where i live right now are red wigglers and i was wondering are they safe to feed to her. also how should i feed her a worm especially an earthworm shes about 5.5 inches.

TheJadeAxolotl

Reaction score
I have read some won't eat Red Wigglers. If your salamander eats them that is fine. Issue on size, you will need to cut the earthworm into segments.

smily sam

Reaction score
i heard earthworms are the best thing for salamanders but i the only type of worms that are sold around where i live right now are red wigglers and i was wondering are they safe to feed to her. also how should i feed her a worm especially an earthworm shes about 5.5 inches.

They are safe to feed but red wigglers are known to have a bad bitter taste that some newts and salamanders don't like, to get rid of it some people soak them in water for a few minutes (say 30.)
If you have any more questions feel free to ask.
Sam

speckles

Reaction score
ok two questions: 1. how big should the segments be and 2. how do i keep them, do i put them in the fridge?

jewett

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I kept red wrigglers in the fridge when I had them. And cut them up to about 1/2 the size of your newts head - that way the worm pieces should fit easily into the newts mouth.

speckles

Reaction score
i found a store that sells night crawlers and after cutting one up and feeding it to her she loved it! thanks for all the help everyone who answered

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
The size of the pieces depends on your salamander. Bigger salamanders, like tigers or axolotls, can take chunks half as long as their body. Little salamanders need more 'bite size' pieces.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!