Insane worms

yellowpebble

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Rachel
Hey!

For anyone in Aus try your local fishing and bait store for Scrub Worms, sometimes called Moon Bait. They are apparently a common fishing worm, a Tasmanian native earthworm which lives in muddy streams and they are MASSIVE. They are almost the width of my finger and when stretched out they are a good 10 inches. They are not a composting worm, and have to be kept in the fridge because Tasmania is cold and they will die if left out. They are about $7 for a pack of ten, but one worm feeds 4 of my adult axies every second day and they love them!

they are not a regular food for me because i worm bin normal earthworms for free, but the size is a novelty. When i got my leucistic Windex, he did not eat for the first few days while he was settling in, and in his first meal he downed one of these whole, it is literally twice his length. it took him a while!

check them out if you can

Attachments

• worm2.jpg
    worm2.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 1,147
  • worm1.jpg
    worm1.jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 730
Wow! Lucky Axies :) Are those the same as "night crawlers?"

Windex, that's awesome :D

night crawlers are a lot smaller here! but they are a lot easier to worm bin

Those are similar size to Canadian or European Nightcrawlers, which are the common bait earthworm in the US.

thats cool! i have never seen worms like them here, i think we get african nightcrawlers which are much much smaller

Funny, I've never seen African ones!

I've seen 'wild' earthworms that are HUGE! When it rains, they come up to the surface. I've found worms that are easily 30+cm long

Must admit they look the same size as the lob worms I feed my two. :D

Wow that's huge! All the worms I see here are tiny and it takes 4-5 to feed Alex. But since those worms could feed more than one axie I don't know how I'd go with them, since I only have Alex!

I tried looking for these worms at a couple of bait stores, one of them had no idea what I was talking about and told me to go to a garden nursery...which I never did D: Do nurseries normally sell worms?
I'd still like to find them, perhaps I just need to try other places.

I've seen massive worms come to the surface after it rains as well. I have this extremely vivid memory of when I was maybe 8 being in my backyard (which looked out over bushland) and finding this crazy massive worm and being slightly terrified of it and poking it with a stick. I was a mean 8 year old.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back