Turning his nose up at home grown worms

shells

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I have been feeding Abraham home grown worms in my worm farm for about a year now but recently he's not been interested in them and favouring pellets. The ONLY thing that has changed is I recently had to restock my worm farm due to them not breeding effectively during the australian summer. I restocked them from my original source and "soak" them in water prior to feeding them to him... I know that worms are the best diet for him, does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be the cause of his sudden distaste in them? I noticed the first time I tried to trick him with a couple of pellets in with the worms he brought the worms back up.... obviously something is not right.

Have you put anything new in with your worms? Or could it be they haven't been eating what you feed them long enough to taste like there normal worms..
That's just a guess but hopefully someone else will come up with an idea.

I'm only just experimenting with a worm farm at the moment, as the dendro, worms will compost but my two prefer lob worms. So I tend to change them up occasionally. With the dendros they kinda tend to gulp them in in one go or spit them out and look at me and when I don't dangle anything else in, will go and find the dendro that's now desperately trying to hide.

its possible you restocked with red composting worms, or red wigglers, which the axies do not like because they secrete a foul tasting slime even when you soak them for hours. They are the only real composting worm you can buy here unfortunatly, unless you go out of your way to get some night crawlers from a worm farm business or bait shop. Some axolotls will accept them, but most wont.

you could have got some of these when your od worms might have been the tasty ones.

Its ok because pelets are just as nutritious they are just more expensive :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back