Question: New member, new axolotl

Schambers87

Reaction score
Country
England
Hey, names Sarah and I'm a newbie to the forum and fairly new to the.world of axolotl :)
I first saw axolotl years ago at the sealift centre and was fascinated...determined to have them. This Xmas my partner got me a tank set up and we got 2 axolotl a few days later.
I have an olive and albino(forget the correct name) axolotls aptly named olive oil and Popeye!
Things are going well, they seem happy and even recognise when I'm going to feed them.
I am however, a little confused over feeding. I only feed mine once every 3 days (they do get gassy) but quantity gets me. Feed as much as they eat in 20mins the books say, but I can't feed bloodworm individually so defrost them and add to tank...usually gone in half hour but unsure if this is enough for them. Fed them mealworms once, but then read why it's not a good idea and made my olive very constipated :$
I bought some crickets today and fed them one each as medium size and took a few minutes to swallow.
Just some friendly advice would help....am I feeding them enough and is bloodworm and crickets enough nutritionally (not fed both at same time, I vary it) . I have pellets but hear they not good so ave just in case I can't get anything else

Thanks x :confused:

the concensus is that earthworms are the best staple diet... much cleaner than bloodworm too...

how big are your axies and do you know how old they are? this info will inform how often you feed them

I can't imagine crickets are a great food for them, pretty crunchy on their tummies

p.s. would love to see a picture of the olive one particularly!

They between 4-5 inches in length I think...can't say I'm good with numbers! Trying to get a composer sorted to attract earthworms but can't imagine I can achieve this overnight. The crickets are dead not live and soaked in "juices" so outer shell softened. It's really hard to get the right foodstuffs in that have been advised....can only assume tesco don't sell earthworms :p

you can get all the worms you need from Buy Worms for Fishing Bait and Composting | Worms Direct -- or they are available in most pet shops that sell reptiles and amphibians or some fishing bait shops...

At the size you're talking about I reckon 1 earthworm each every other day would make them pretty content...

Will upload pics but olive is being camara shy...Popeye was well up for posing lol. My iPad however, will not let me upload from file so shall have to try another day

fantastic. will look forward to pics of your axies as and when!

Will upload pics but olive is being camara shy...Popeye was well up for posing lol. My iPad however, will not let me upload from file so shall have to try another day

Just a heads up - if you have Wifi/3G on your iPad you can e-mail photos to yourself and then save them from your e-mail ;)

And LeFarge is right, earthworms would be best. Crickets are fine occasionally though, during winter here it's hard to get earthworms so I've fed mine crickets.
Have a look at the Caudata Culture page on food for captive caudates for more info on different foods you can feed:
Caudata Culture Articles - Food Items for Captive Caudates

sarahs olive.jpg

sarahs popeye.jpg

Olive decided she was finally ready to face her audience :)

If i get an earthworm composter and keep an eye on the materials i put in can i use them to feed my axolotl?
I also read rain water can be used when changing water - if so am going to get a rain water butt and an earthworm composter!

they are beautiful!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back