Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hey :)

ChibiKawaii

Reaction score
My name's Jenny, I'm from Middlesbrough- UK.

I love animals, and so I have 2 turtles and a lot of fish.
I'm hopefully get some axolotls soon and hatch them out :D

This forum's great, I've been lurking as a guest for ages, now I'm lurking as a member :p

EDIT:
I also have a question or questions....

My mum isn't a fan of keeping live food in the fridge- and I'm possibly getting axolotl eggs... and once they hatch, they need live food. And I'm thinking of daphnia. And cultivating (or whatever it's called) isn't an option either because I don't know how, never tried and my mum doesn't like the idea. So, it is okay if I empty the whole pack of daphnia in with the hatchlings? Or will the hatchlings become over fed? I don't want to keep live food in the fridge or cultivate them.

I was thinking that maybe if I empty the whole pack of daphnia, they'd still be escaping the mouths of the axolotls, so wouldn't be eaten all in one day- and probably last quite a long time... but is there is a risk of death from over feeding or anything like that?

PLEASE ANSWER- thanks.

Last edited:

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Well, even adult axolotls need live food, earthworms, which is commonly either cultivated or kept in the fridge. I don't think anyone gets their worms one at a time.

Daphnia are super-easy to culture in just a few jars on a sunny window-sill even. If you're keen on raising them from eggs, you'll almost have to culture the daphnia, as hatchling axolotls need small daphnia, not adults.

ChibiKawaii

Reaction score
Is it possible to have just enough baby daphnia so they'd eat them all before they grow up?

How long does it take for baby daphnia to grow up and become too big for the axolotls to eat?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!