Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Speaking of earthworms...

Chirple

Reaction score
I finally got my hands on some !

If my axolotl is about 6" right now, how much worm should she be eating ? The water is 67-68 degrees and I feed her daily and she's about 5-6 months old.

One of the nightcrawlers is longer than she is and I didn't want to overwhelm her with it.

So I fed her a 2-3 inch segment off the tail end and felt like a jerk for cutting the worm up.

They're so squishy instead of dense like pellets, so I'm not really sure how much I'm feeding her since I don't have a scale to detect such small weights at home.

I know a lot of people use earthworms, so just looking for opinions based on experience. :)

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
You'll want to cut the worms to where they are no longer than the width of the axies head.

As for amount of feeding, you want to feed it about 3 times a week. Feed it as much as it'll eat in 15 minutes. After a few feedings you'll get a general idea of how much your axie will eat at any given time.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
At 6 inches long, you can easily give it half a nightcrawler 3-4 times a week. It might not get it all down in one gulp, but it shouldn't have a hard time swallowing/digesting that much worm.

Chirple

Reaction score
Thank you both !

I've fed her half of a worm - but it didn't look much bigger than the piece I'd given her before, so I let her have it and she got it down in just two gulps. And she still took some pellets after that.

I've been trying to fatten her up and I think she's at about an ideal weight now (head and body about the same), but I think she'd keep eating until she burst if I let her. So far I haven't had her ever turn down food except for a massivore pellet that was too big (and after I started cutting them in half, no problem).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1