Question: Cleaning up old food?

Hrafnblod

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I got my first Axolotl the other day. So far, it's fed only bloodworms and had a small cube of frozen brine shrimp this morning. There isn't an awful amount, but how do I go about cleaning up old food from the tank? Trying to grab half eaten worms in water with your hands is pretty impossible. Any ideas?

The universally handy. Turkey baster. Sucks waste and uneaten food up a treat.

Turkey baster, and for persistently large chunks of worm, tweezers or feeding tongs. Try to get the food about an hour or two after you feed. I've always had a problem with frozen brine shrimp and bloodworms making the water murky quickly. I give the leftovers to my fish and frogs.

When using frozen foods, you can reduce the problems with the water quality by draining the thawed materials through a small net. I used to rinse frozen bloodworms to reduce the impact on water quality.
One of the things that you can do is use a small siphon hose and siphon out the uneaten material and do a small water change at the same time.

Ed

Frozen bloodworms are terribly messy things! You could try using a feeding jar and palce the frozen cube or portion in there, as it defrosts or gets snapped at by your axy any bits will tend to settle in there as opposed to floating all over your tank. I have a big glass jar I got in Poundland for this purpose and it works a treat! As for taking out leftover food turkey baster all the way :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back