Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Newb genetics question. Leucistic X Golden Albino

GazerOfStars

Reaction score
At the moment I have two Leucistic Axolotls(100%). In the relatively near future I plan on getting a golden albino axolotl.

I know near to nothing about Axolotl genetics, so I have a few questions:

1. If I were to mate a leucistic Axolotl with a Golden what kind of offspring would I expect? 50 percent Leucistic and 50 percent Golden babies?

2. Again, newb here: If I had golden babies would they still carry the leucistic gene? or leucistic babies, would they also carry the golden gene? Sorry, I know nothing about what is dominant and what is recessive.

3. Are there none-albino goldens? Like, goldens with black eyes?

Thanks!

-Gazer

Neil C

Reaction score
Your genetics assumptions seem pretty much spot on although there are always exceptions to what colour babies result from a mating.

Golden with black eyes are possible, Jay sommers bred some and there was one posted on here recently which I believe was a golden colour leucistic.

Regards Neil

millerj76

Reaction score
At the moment I have two Leucistic Axolotls(100%). In the relatively near future I plan on getting a golden albino axolotl.

I know near to nothing about Axolotl genetics, so I have a few questions:

1. If I were to mate a leucistic Axolotl with a Golden what kind of offspring would I expect? 50 percent Leucistic and 50 percent Golden babies?

2. Again, newb here: If I had golden babies would they still carry the leucistic gene? or leucistic babies, would they also carry the golden gene? Sorry, I know nothing about what is dominant and what is recessive.

3. Are there none-albino goldens? Like, goldens with black eyes?

Thanks!

-Gazer
There is a great article that i'm sure will probably answer your questions, not sure how to do a link for you, sorry, but its on axolotl.org go to the biology section and its under genetics and colour, hope this helps

GazerOfStars

Reaction score
The A/A A/a a/a etc. bit went a little over my head, but it was very helpful nonetheless :)

GazerOfStars

Reaction score
I understand that an uppercase letter denotes a dominant gene, a lowercase denotes recessive, and that "A/a" would denote that the dominant gene is expressed but it still carries the recessive gene( at least that's what I think it means :p)

That's where I get a little lost. What letter combination means what type of expression is shown? Is it differnt for every type of charecteristic (like albinism and melaninism)?

If the allele that is responsible for pigmentation has either a/a or A/x wouldn't said axolotl be albino either way?

x=denotes any other non-albino recessive gene

Last edited:

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
The dominant gene will always be expressed, unless there are no dominant genes, a/a. That's the whole definition of 'dominant', that it is expressed over the other genes. This is called the genotype. a

In the case of albinism, it's a bit confusing. "A" stands for non-albino, while "a" means albino. If the animal is A/a, it will not be albino. It has to inherit recessive alleles from both parents, a/a, in order to be albino.

When you see something that says M/x, D/x, AX/x, etc., the x denotes that the second allele is unknown. It may be recessive, M/m, or dominant, M/M. You can usually figure this out within a couple of pairings/generations. The format for all characteristics is the same. This is true throughout sexually reproducing species (except those who have more than 2 chromosomes).

In axolotls, the common characteristics are A (albinism), D (leucism), M (melanoid), AX (axanthic). Often, it's a combination of characteristics that give you the phenotype (what the animal looks like). For example, a leucistic is A/a, d/d: it has melanophores, but they do not migrate from the neural crest. A golden albino is a/a, D/x: it doesn't create any melanophores, but color cells migrate from the neural crest normally. A white albino is a/a, d/d: it doesn't create any melanophores, and color cells that are present do not migrate from the neural crest.

Last edited:

GazerOfStars

Reaction score
That actually helped quite a great deal. Thank you, Kaysie :)

Back when I was in biology thats where I got lost most often. But who or what decides what letter and capitalization denotes a specific trait? Albinism seems like a pretty universal trait, so I can see if Mendel or someone declared a=albino. But what for everything else? The gene for number of toes, can I just call that "t"? Or is there a specifically defined notation for that.

Thanks again :) I apologize for getting a little off-track here, but my brain thirsts for knowledge!

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I guess the person who 'discovers' the trait/gene gets to letter it. Just keep in mind that the letters are NOT universal. Those used for axies aren't necessarily applicable to snakes, people, birds, etc.

GazerOfStars

Reaction score
Ah, gotcha :). Well that wraps up all my questions, thanks again for everyone's help!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!