First time axolotl owner- any suggestions?

Silver

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello! I've been reading about these wonderful creatures for years, but was only able to get one recently. I've got a ten gallon tank for him with about an inch of play sand in the bottom. He's got a place to hide (and there is room in the tank for another hide if you think he needs it) and the tank is partially planted. Anything I should look out for while I'm getting him used to the tank or anything you would suggest I feed him? Different websites have different advice.

Thank you!

Some people will tell you that tank is too small - it's probably going to be perfectly fine. Check out his behavior after he settles and see how active he is in it. My axies like to hide in their plants also, but adding another hide wouldn't hurt. You'll see more use out of one than the other, but that would be best. I pretty much fill my tanks with plants - floating, planted, etc. since my guys love them so much.

Basically, there's nothing that I think you have to have, though maybe an additional hide would do some good, and plants are always nice. Post some pictures of your setup!

Alright, I'll post some pictures later today. Thanks for the reply! Most websites I've been to have said ten gallons was plenty for two axolotls, let alone one, but I have a forty gallon he'll eventually be moved into :D

I have a couple more questions for anyone who's willing to answer them. When I set up his tank, I'm not sure I rinsed the sand as thoroughly as I should have. I did a water change after about ten minutes because of how cloudy the water was, but it's still a faint tan color. How long will it take for the sand to settle? If it isn't settled by tomorrow, should I change the water again?

The petstore had been feeding him frozen brine shrimp cubes. Should I continue with this, or switch to something else? They said he wasn't quite big enough for trout worms yet (he's about 3-4 inches), but to feed him those when he gets to be bigger.

Any advice you guys have would be super helpful. Thank you!

Alright, thanks for the information ^^ Pet stores are notorious for being wrong... Good thing I asked!

I have a couple more questions for anyone who's willing to answer them. When I set up his tank, I'm not sure I rinsed the sand as thoroughly as I should have. I did a water change after about ten minutes because of how cloudy the water was, but it's still a faint tan color. How long will it take for the sand to settle? If it isn't settled by tomorrow, should I change the water again?

thats very common with sand! Give it some time to settle down. But if what you are talking is like a white cloud in the water, thats another thing, that's also a normal bacteria colony in your tank, don't change the water if that is the case, it will get bigger, the white cloud is going to dissapear in maybe 2 to 3 weeks!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back