Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

CFBN Eggs

davipin

Reaction score
Hi All!

I'm new here and new to the hobby as well. I bought a pair of chinese fire belly newts last week (both females, as i made out from pic guide here).

Now, after introducing them to a established tank, one of the newt started laying eggs on the immediate next day. She's wrapping the eggs under leaves of hygrophilla and hydrocotyle. After reading some articles and forums, I decided to move the eggs along with these plants to another container. Meanwhile fresh plants were replaced in the newt tank, she's still wrapping eggs on the leaves.

The eggs are white with a black speck on top, covered in gel.
I will be grateful if someone guides me with further course of action...

Thanks!

AngieD

Reaction score
I found daphnia to be really good for my little CFBN, he has grown nicely and has a bright orange tummy, another nice live food to use is live freshly-hatched brine shrimp (artemia), they are a little more high-maintenance but are great for nutrients.

Plenty of us on this forum have raised CFBN larvae, so you're in good company :)

davipin

Reaction score
@Dave: thanks for the article link, it helped. I found that few eggs were missing from certain leaves. I presume they were eaten by the newt since there's no other animal in the tank.

@Angie: thanks for the advice. Daphnia can be easily found at fish stores near me. But brine shrimp eggs are hard to source. I think i'll try out with daphnia..

Thanks!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!