Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Suitable size tank for an Axie?

lollypop

Reaction score
For about the same price you can get a 3ft clearseal basic tank. ( have found the 3fts for about £50) they don't come with a hood or anything else, but if you have a filter and stuff already it's just a transfer job.
Bigger and cheaper. Win win. :D

£55 for 3ft £70 for 4ft pets at home price

Last edited:

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I've never understood why people would want to buy a small tank and then upgrade. Why not just buy an adequately-sized adult tank, and not waste your money on a small tank that is only going to be useful for a couple of months at most?

Niels D

Reaction score
I've never understood why people would want to buy a small tank and then upgrade. Why not just buy an adequately-sized adult tank, and not waste your money on a small tank that is only going to be useful for a couple of months at most?

I totally agree, but if you do buy a temporary tank you can allways put some other newts in it! :D

*want more newts* *want more newts* *want more newts*

Chirple

Reaction score

I agree - and depending on your set-up it can be a huge pain to upgrade a tank and bring everything over.

If I had known that that my first tank was going to be too small for my liking, I would have just gone bigger in the first place.

As for tank size, I have a 75 litre long tank (20 long, in gallons) and I would go for that over a 54 litre/15 gallon. Just make sure the tank you select is a "long" - you want the floorspace more than height.

I started off with a 38 before going to a 75, because I found the 38 was a little too small for my liking.

and sorry, I'm not sure what standard tank dimensions are in litres so I'm just converting. :s

And don't buy one with a hood unless you need/want one. You can get a basic tank top for cheaper. I love my live plants, though (and they provide a lot of shade for the axolotl and she likes climbing in them).

Crysta

Reaction score

Tank maths :p
"oh I need more axolotls, that'll mean i'll have to buy a bigger tank :3 shame that"

It does make for a good quarantine tank after you upgrade, but I am with you 'upgrading' shouldn't really be needed - unless you have a case of Axolotl maths. :|

Yes as others have mentioned look for a basic long tank without a hood, you can make yourself a nice net/breathable lid if you need one. It'll be cheeper and you don't want the hood anyway - they only serve to raise your tank temp.

Last edited:

watertiger21

Reaction score

I usually start out with a smaller tank because I happen to have a ton of smaller tanks lying around in storage. Then I upgrade when I actually need a larger tank. :)

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
If you've got them, fantastic! I always have a variety of tanks and tubs and whatnot laying around. But I think it's just silly to buy a small tank, then go buy a big tank. Further, it's so much more economical (but less aesthetic) to keep larvae and juveniles in tupperware.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1