Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Growth on driftwood

Bevi1019

Reaction score
I have had my tank set up cycled and running for a few months now, with some temporary fish have not moved my axies in yet. The person i bought them from recommended keeping them in separate smaller containers for awhile so that's what I have them in now. The tank has been running great lots of live plants and never any algae. I recently added a piece of driftwood which i had soaking for a few weeks until it stopped turning the water brownish. It's been in there almost a week and now I have what I can only describe as translucent whitish "puffs" growing on it. This is the first problem I've come across not sure if anyone could tell me what it is or how to take care of it...sorry the pictures the best i could get.

Attachments

• DSC01924.jpg
    DSC01924.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 1,850

danchristopher

Reaction score
Hm, it's hard to tell from the pic but I think this is a kind of natural fuzz that can grow on driftwood. I used to get it on my wood when I first put it in my axie tank but over time it seems to vanish and I no longer have it.
I wouldn't worry too much.

GazerOfStars

Reaction score
I noticed something similar near the underside of my drift wood. Most of my driftwood has beard algae on it so I figured it was some algae that didn't get enough light.

natjobe

Reaction score
I would say it is a natural growth, you can put in shrimp to eat whatever grows on your wood. Shrimp make an awesome cleaning crew!!

nextortorres

Reaction score
Hi! I could help! I actually kind of an expert in planted tanks! Thats my thing!

The brownish water is because the driftwood, is like tea, is releasing pigments, it is not harmfull o dangerous for fish, so not for axies. You will need a good filtration to get rid of most of the color!

How to stop it?

Take out the driftwood & boil it several times with a little of salt! This will made all the "tea" gets out! Repeat until you feel happy!

The white spots are Fungus or Microorganism that came with the driftwood & now have an aquatic habitat (humidity) to blossom! Just take it out with a net!

My recommendation:

Boil the driftwood!
Empty half of the tank or just the amout to keep your filter working! That reducement in water will make the filter clean the water & "fungus"
Then when you bring the driftwood back, add the new water ( without the harmfull things)

Hope this help Friend!
And sorry for my english ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1