Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What happens ?

margbooth

Reaction score
Does a female develop eggs if there are no males present?
If the female develops eggs, but there are no ,males will she reabsorb them ,or lay them anyway? thanks Just curious.

Ed

Reaction score
Whether the female will reabsorb the eggs depends in no small part whether the eggs have passed down into the body in preperation for laying. If they have developed enough that they have the outer membranes in place do not tend to be reabsorbed (I've seen female Desmognathus m. monticola retain the eggs for more than 5 years). Yes they can and often will develop eggs even if there are no males present. Egg formation is typically controlled by several factors including enviromental factor but one of the main drivers is the availability of fat reserves to provide the calories in the yolk. This doesn't mean that the eggs are properly prepared with all of the nutrients reaquired.

Ed

margbooth

Reaction score
Thanks for that. Interesting!
So its not harmful for them to be gravid all the time and not breed?

Ed

Reaction score
Thanks for that. Interesting!
So its not harmful for them to be gravid all the time and not breed?

It can potentially be a problem. If there is an issue and the eggs end up in the body cavity, you can get what is called egg yolk periotinitus where there is an infection which can kill the animal. In addition, amphibians (and other animals) that retain eggs for too long without laying them can have adhesions form where tissues attach the eggs to the walls or organs in the body cavity. This can kill the animal if it ever trys to lay the eggs.
This can be seen as an example with this Atelopus zeteki. The toad still has eggs in the abdomen (they can be seen through the skin) and is unable to pass the eggs (which is why there are still some clustered around the vent).

Attachments

• Azetekiandeggsretained2small.jpg
    Azetekiandeggsretained2small.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 240
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1