Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hi from Jersey

No1Mustang

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I'm Karl from Jersey - Channel Islands and I recently aquired my 1st Axolotl, He is a browny grey colour and his name is Axle, I have him in a large 70L tank with large gravel, a plastic tree trunk tunnel, Large peice of wood and some plants, I will be off to the petshop again tommorow to get him some more plants, he is about 6 inches long and is a happy little man :happy:
He has aready started looking for me when I move away from his tank and follows me around when I watch him, He's a bit bonkas 1st thing in the morning:bowl:, swims at 100mph exploring his new home, I will post some pictures when I get some.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Gravel isn't a good substrate for axolotls. They can accidentally (or on purpose) consume the gravel, which can become lodged in the intestinal tract and cause impaction. You should remove it immediately. They'll do fine on a bare-bottom tank, or you can use sand.

No1Mustang

Reaction score
Hi Kaysie,

Thanks for the info, the gravel is of the large size at the moment, bigger than bite size I am told, I am getting some sand from the petshop tommorrow aswell as other bits and bobs for the tank.:happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!