Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Introducing a 2nd Axie

No1Mustang

Reaction score
Hi All
I have recently aquired my 1st Axie from a pet store:happy: and have a 70L tank for him, He is about 6 - 7 inches long and I was wondering when and how to introduce a possible girl friend for him, I'n not worried about wether they breed or not but would rather put a girl in rather than another testosterone fueled male if you see my point,
Any help is greatly appreciated :happy:

esn

Reaction score
There shouldn't and wouldn't be any gender aggression like you see in other animals. Axolotls are pretty chill. I've added multiple axolotls to my original females tank since first starting out, and it all went smoothly. Quarantine them for 30 days, then toss em in. Watch them of course - there's always the possibility of some aggression, which would be more due to them being blind as bats and wanting to scarf down anything that moves. I've had some close calls, but my axolotls tend to know how to avoid each other.

Do you have a 20 gallon high or 20 gallon long? Most people would say you have to have a 20 gallon long minimum for two axies, but they don't move much at all. I think 20 gallon highs are sufficient for lazy fat-butts like my axies, but it would be considered best to have a twenty long. Gives the axolotls more room to run if there is a problem like mistaking each other for food. Either way, you'll have 30 days quarantine to upgrade floor space if you need/want to.

LeFarge

Reaction score
just make sure one isn't more than a third bigger than the other... or the small one will become a snack!

sunchyne231

Reaction score
I finally introduced a second Axie to Jelly today after a couple hours behind a glass sheet (and the last month with their tanks beside each other - not sure if they could see each other though!) and they're fine now! I was so surprised at how easily they sorted it out :) There was a couple of scuffles but actually seem very calm now, there's about 1.5 inch difference in size and Jelly is about 9ins now. I'm 'fairly sure the new one (Custard) is a male too as his vent is a little pronounced but only time will tell.

No1Mustang

Reaction score
I'm looking for a second one but can't find any locally :confused:

thats the bad thing about living on an island

No1Mustang

Reaction score
I just had some good news, the pet store i got Axle from are having another brood!! they have Albino females too apparently, the only thing is reading your posts is that I don't have a 2nd tank to put it in, i only have a goldfish bowl and can't afford another tank to set up :eek:(
any ideas?

No1Mustang

Reaction score
I just had some good news, the pet store i got Axle from are having another brood!! they have Albino females too apparently, the only thing is reading your posts is that I don't have a 2nd tank to put it in, i only have a goldfish bowl and can't afford another tank to set up :eek:(
any ideas?

lollypop

Reaction score
Plastic crate stack n store box works really well as a tank. Can get all different sizes.
And you can make your own sponge filters from an airline and pop bottle

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1