Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help, Paramesotriton Breeding!!

GreenDragon

Reaction score
So I'm just coming home on a regular winter day and guess what I see in my newt tank.

I have two Paramesotriton chinesis in the process of mating . The wierd thing was that the female was on top, and lately the newts have not been acting very happy (on land every once in a while, more than usual).

So anyway, I have no I have no idea what to expect. At first it seemed like a great idea for my newts do breed and I thought it would never happen. And now that it did it doesn't seem like such a great idea anymore.

And as for my questions (sorry about the long intro) I would like to know what I should do to make anything better with the newts. Like, should I add something specific for them to lay their eggs on? Or maybe feed them more or less? Or even change the water temp? Anyway, I just need to know things along those lines. I have turned off my filter and I have an apple snail also. I just hope I didn't disturb them when I saw them.

And finally, once the larvae hatch, is there any special type of care I need to take for this species?

Thanks in advance !

froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score
If the newts were holding on to each other, it wasn't matimng, it was aggression. This would explain animals coming out of the water, too, as when bullied and unable to escape in a small tank, they will try to leave the water.

You need to split the animals into separate tanks ASAP, as they can kill each other in the end (either through stress or accute injury).

Another option is to use a larger tank and/or fill the tank with lots of caves etc. However, in my experience, once fighting happens, the dominant animal will pursue the sub-dominant one relentlessly, despite the addition of many caves.

C

GreenDragon

Reaction score
Well actually, I saw some tail fanning before they grabbed on to each other and the male's tail was pretty white. Plus the newts did not struggle or swim frantically around the tank when the separated. And neither did they bite each other. I am still pretty sure it was mating considers the pictures I've seen.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!