Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Gill filaments disappearing?

Amy82

Reaction score
My Axi, Gillbert, had a fungus about 2 weeks ago. We salt dipped him and it appeared to clear up.

We also got a new filter it's a zoomed 501 it has a spray bar. Replaced a HOB tetra whisper 20.

I've read elsewhere that increased oxygen will cause a reduction in gillsize. So my question is, is this a reduction in gill size due to oxygen or is Gillbert still sick?

442795e4-8700-f2a7.jpg

Gillbert 2 weeks ago with fungus on back gill.

442795e4-872c-dbd1.jpg

Gillbert today.

frogman

Reaction score
Diffidently looks different. Sorry i could not help. Still learning stuff of my own. Cute Leucistic axie though:D Good Luck!!

Chirple

Reaction score
Did you notice loss in gill filaments immediately (a few hours) after salt baths ?

This happened to mine recently. Her long gills turned bright red and then the bright red parts fell off over the course of a few hours. Since then, her gill filaments have grown back very well.

How much salt did you use and how long ? What kind of salt ?

They are very delicate and I don't know if it's an individual tolerance issue or what, but I've concluded my axolotl needs milder than normal salt baths if I ever am to try them again.

Amy82

Reaction score
Did you notice loss in gill filaments immediately (a few hours) after salt baths ?

How much salt did you use and how long ? What kind of salt ?

They didn't dissapear that day or the next, but gradually over two weeks.

We used instant ocean 2 teaspoons to a gallon of water. For 15 minutes.

Amy82

Reaction score
Took water parameters today.

Ph 7.4
Nitrite 0ppm
Ammonia 0.25ppm
Nitrate 7ppm

I will be doing a 20% change later today. I also read on another thread that water conditioner with Aloe in it can damage gills. What are some recommended brands of water conditioner? I am using tetra aqua safe plus.

satyrlike

Reaction score
I just use a dechlorinator, no need to add the other odd chems that come in the water conditioners.

Amy82

Reaction score
Picture today after a 20% water change and tank vacuuming. Looks like some of the gill filaments are returning. Contacted the breeder I got him from for some advice. (feel stupid for not doing this sooner, as he was very nice) I think I am feeding Gillbert to frequently.(every day) Also will be reducing the amount of salt placed in the water to increase hardness. Will reduce feedings (2-3 times a week) and take weekly water parameters.

Thank you all for help and advice. :)

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 1,055
Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1